Map [Portolan atlas of 9 charts and a world map, etc.]. Portolan atlas containing 10 maps
About this Item
- [Portolan atlas of 9 charts and a world map, etc.].
- Other Title
- Portolan atlas containing 10 maps
- Contributor Names
- Agnese, Battista, active 16th century.
- Created / Published
- [ca. 1544]
- Subject Headings
- - Earth
- World atlases
- Manuscript maps
- Early maps
- Portolan charts
- - Pen-and-ink and watercolor, on vellum.
- - Each double-page illumination is 21 x 29 cm. Compass rose on inside back cover.
- - Dedicated to Hieronymus Ruffault, Abbot of St. Vaast.
- - Title provided by cataloger.
- - "Maps 1, 2, and 10 show America. No. 1 shows the Gulf of California which Ulloa discovered in 1539. On the same map Yucatan is shown as an island, and the east and west coasts of North and South America are only partially shown. On no. 2, the east coasts of North and South America are shown in their entirety and the west coasts only partially. Clumps of trees in green and gold are shown on no. 1, near the Noluccas, and on no. 2, in the Brazilian region of South America. The oval world map (no. 10) shows Magellan's route around the world and a route from Spain to Peru. The 12 wind cherubs on this map are named." -- Ristow and Skelton, Nautical charts on vellum in the Library of Congress, 1977.
- - LC Nautical charts on vellum, 5
- - Rosenthal 1914, 1884
- - Ruge 1916, p. 17-18
- - Wagner 1931, 33
- - Skelton, 19
- - LC Luso-Hispanic World, 6
- - Phillips, 5914
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- 1 ms. atlas (15 leaves) : col. ; 26 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- G1001 .A4 1544
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
- IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Manifest (JSON/LD)
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Agnese, Battista, Active 16Th Century. Portolan Atlas of 9 Charts and a World Map, Etc.  Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/98687206/.
APA citation style:
Agnese, B. (1544) Portolan Atlas of 9 Charts and a World Map, Etc. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/98687206/.
MLA citation style:
Agnese, Battista, Active 16Th Century. Portolan Atlas of 9 Charts and a World Map, Etc.  Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/98687206/>.
More Maps like this
Map[Portolan atlas of the Mediterranean Sea, western Europe, and the northwest coast of Africa]. Title supplied by cataloger. Attributed to Joan Oliva by John Wolter in A portolan atlas of the Mediterranean Sea and western European waters, with a world map, 1987. Pen-and-ink and watercolor on...
- Contributor: Oliva, Joan
- Date: 1590
MapDescripcion de las costas, islas placeres, i bajos delas, Indias Occidentales, Scale ca. 1:5,000,000. Manuscript, pen-and-ink and watercolor, on vellum. Shows the Atlantic coast of southern U.S., Mexico, Central America, and northern South America. "Sibre para Domingo de Belasco Pilo to del Paqui...
- Contributor: Espinosa, Pedro Alcantara
- Date: 1765
Map[Portolan chart of the Mediterranean and Black Seas with the west coast of Spain and Portugal] Portolan chart with seaport names given for all coastlines. Title provided by cataloguer. Fragmentary signature on upper right portion leading into neck reads "Io Placid...". Oriented with north to the right (indicated...
- Contributor: Oliva, Placido
- Date: 158?
Map[Portolan atlas of the Mediterranean Sea and western Europe]. Title supplied by cataloger. Pen-and-ink, watercolor, and gilding on vellum. Half of charts 1 and 5 are attached respectively to the inside of the front and back boards. The other halves of...
- Contributor: Brémond, Jean André
- Date: 1670
Map[Chart of the Atlantic Ocean, from 37° N to 42° S] Title from LC Nautical charts on vellum. Prime meridian: Cape Verde. Pen-and-ink and goauche. Includes illustrations. LC Nautical charts on vellum, 29. Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as...
- Contributor: Ferreira, Manoel
- Date: 1760