Book/Printed Material Ẓafarnāmah ظفرنامه /
About this Item
- ظفرنامه /
- Ẓafarnāmah (Book of victory) by ʻAli Yazdi (circa 1390-1454) is a biographical work dealing with the life of the central Asian conqueror Timur (reigned 1370-1405). Completed in around 1424, Yazdi's work is based in part on an earlier work, also entitled Ẓafarnāmah, by Nizam al-Din ʻAli Shami (who completed his work in 1404). A poet and scholar, Yazdi wrote works on numerology, astrolabes, and a variety of other topics, and he was renowned for his knowledge of ʻūlūm-i gharība (the esoteric sciences). He was summoned to the provincial capital of Shiraz around 1419 by Timur's grandson, Ibrahim Sultan (1394-1435), and asked to compile and codify the records related to the life of Timur. The present copy of the Ẓafarnāmah is the first volume of a two-volume edition, published under the aegis of the Asiatic Society at the Baptist Mission Press in Calcutta in 1887. The editor, Maulawi Muhammad Ilahdad, was a professor in the Arabic department at the Calcutta Madrasah. Ilahdad notes that the decision to publish this work in two volumes was made in order to avoid a bulky single volume. The first volume of this edition covers the events of Timur's life to 1397 and the conclusion of Timur's five-year campaign in the west that resulted in the conquest of Kurdistan, Southern Persia, and Georgia, and in the fall of Baghdad. World Digital Library.
- Sharaf al-Dīn ʻAlī Yazdī, -1454.
- Ilahdād, Muḥammad.
Created / Published
- Kalkatah : Baptist Mishin Prīs, 1887-1888.
- - Timur,--1336-1405--Early works to 1800
- - India
- - تيمور
- - Added t.p. in English.
- - Also available in digital form.
- - In Persian.
- 2 v. ; 22 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- MLCSN 2002/03035 (D)
- DS23 .S57 1887 Copy 2 Stored in AMED Cage
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The contents of the Library of Congress Persian Language Manuscript Project are in the public domain or have no known copyright restrictions and are free to use and reuse.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, African and Middle East Division, Near East Section Persian Manuscript Collection
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sharaf Al-Dīn ʻAlī Yazdī, -1454, and Muḥammad Ilahdād. Ẓafarnāmah. Kalkatah: Baptist Mishin Prīs, to 1888, 1887. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/99430750/.
APA citation style:
Sharaf Al-Dīn ʻAlī Yazdī, -. & Ilahdād, M. (1887) Ẓafarnāmah. Kalkatah: Baptist Mishin Prīs, to 1888. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/99430750/.
MLA citation style:
Sharaf Al-Dīn ʻAlī Yazdī, -1454, and Muḥammad Ilahdād. Ẓafarnāmah. Kalkatah: Baptist Mishin Prīs, to 1888, 1887. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/99430750/>.