Map Guía de las regiones de trabajos agrícolas en los estados del oeste.
About this Item
- Guía de las regiones de trabajos agrícolas en los estados del oeste.
- ""Guía de las regiones de trabajos agrícolas en los estados del oeste" (Regional guide for agricultural employment in the Western States) is a guide with accompanying map that was issued in 1962 by the Farm Labor Service of the U.S. Department of Labor and the U.S. Employment Service. It offered information in Spanish to migrant laborers on temporary agricultural employment in seven western states: Washington, Oregon, Idaho, California, Nevada, Utah, and Arizona. The map has inset text with translations into Spanish of the names of important fruits and vegetables, as well as the optimum dates for temporary employment at peak harvest periods in different parts of each state. The shading of the numbered agricultural zones on the map is linked to the text on a state-by-state basis. Laborers are advised not to leave for such temporary agricultural work without first securing jobs and to consult with the state employment offices before and during their journeys. The map shows the locations of state employment service centers, information centers, and federal, state, and interstate highways. The map was designed to meet the needs of the owners of large farms, who required seasonal labor to harvest their crops. It was issued in the same year that César Chávez co-founded the labor union that ultimately became the United Farm Workers (UFW), with the aim of raising the low pay and improving the often deplorable working conditions of migrant farm workers." World Digital Library.
- United States. Farm Labor Service.
- United States Employment Service.
- United States. Department of Labor.
Created / Published
- [Washington], 1962.
- - Labor--West (U.S.)--Maps
- - Migrant agricultural laborers--West (U.S.)--Maps
- - United States--West
- - Directory of "Oficinas locales del sevicio estatal de empleos" on verso.
- - Includes tables, in English, identical with English language edition.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as a raster image.
- 1 map ; 42 x 27 cm., on sheet 54 x 52 cm. folded to 18 x 9 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- G4211.G8 1962 .U52 TIL
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
- United States Employment Service
- United States. Department of Labor
- United States. Farm Labor Service
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
United States Farm Labor Service, United States Employment Service, and United States Department Of Labor. Guía De Las Regiones De Trabajos Agrícolas En Los Estados Del Oeste. [Washington, 1962] Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/99446190/.
APA citation style:
United States Farm Labor Service, United States Employment Service & United States Department Of Labor. (1962) Guía De Las Regiones De Trabajos Agrícolas En Los Estados Del Oeste. [Washington] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/99446190/.
MLA citation style:
United States Farm Labor Service, United States Employment Service, and United States Department Of Labor. Guía De Las Regiones De Trabajos Agrícolas En Los Estados Del Oeste. [Washington, 1962] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/99446190/>.