Map Map showing the lands assigned to emigrant Indians west of Arkansas and Missouri.
About this Item
- Map showing the lands assigned to emigrant Indians west of Arkansas and Missouri.
- "Following passage of the Indian Removal Act in 1830, President Andrew Jackson implemented a policy of land exchanges and forced expulsion of the eastern Native Americans to regions west of the Mississippi River. Epitomized by the "Trail of Tears" followed by the Cherokee in their forced journey from their ancestral homes to lands in what is now Oklahoma, Jackson's policy set the stage for decades of native resettlement and for the widespread establishment of reservations. This map shows the approximate boundaries of the lands assigned to the relocated tribes in territories west of the Mississippi by 1836. Different shades of color are used to indicate the various tribes. The map also shows the southwestern border of the United States with Mexico, which at that time included the territory that was soon to become the independent Republic of Texas. Forced cession of land by tribes indigenous to the American West, such as the Sioux, is also shown. Approximate geographical boundaries are indicated by rivers, trails, and forts, as territories and states had yet to form in this area. The number of Indians who "emigrated" is listed in the lower right margin, as well as the number of "resident" Indians already living in these regions and the number of Indian tribes remaining east of the Mississippi. Included as well is the total acreage of lands granted by the federal government to the new immigrants according to each tribe." World Digital Library.
- United States. Topographical Bureau.
Created / Published
- [S.l.], 1836.
- - Indians of North America--West (U.S.)--Maps
- - United States--West
- - From: [Documents concerning Col. Henry Dodge's expedition to the Rocky Mountains], House Document 181, 24th Cong., 1st session, 1835-36, serial 289.
- - LC Many nations, 200
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as a raster image.
- - Exhibition: Indians of North America, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C., August, 1977.
- 1 map : col. ; 47 x 46 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- G4051.E1 1836 .U5 TIL
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
United States Topographical Bureau. Map showing the lands assigned to emigrant Indians west of Arkansas and Missouri. [S.l, 1836] Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/99446197/.
APA citation style:
United States Topographical Bureau. (1836) Map showing the lands assigned to emigrant Indians west of Arkansas and Missouri. [S.l] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/99446197/.
MLA citation style:
United States Topographical Bureau. Map showing the lands assigned to emigrant Indians west of Arkansas and Missouri. [S.l, 1836] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/99446197/>.