Map Western motor car route guide.
About this Item
- Western motor car route guide.
- "This automobile guide shows the main highway route between Vancouver, Canada, and San Diego, California, circa 1915. The map lists the distance in miles from Vancouver to cities along the way, and highlights in red lettering the major intermediate stops, such as Seattle, Portland, San Francisco (Oakland), Bakersfield, and Los Angeles. Major civic expositions occurring in San Francisco and San Diego in 1915, which stimulated significant motor travel that year, are noted in red as well. Parts of the route include the Pacific Highway as well as follow segments of the Spanish-era El Camino Real (The Royal Road), but much of the route takes a more inland course, traversing the Willamette Valley of Oregon and the Central Valley of California. Side roads to Bend, Oregon; Stockton, California; and the Mojave Desert are shown branching off the main route. The map also marks approximate state boundaries for Washington, Oregon, and California, and it suggests places for overnight stops. Advertisements for local hotels and garages are included along the margins, placed for ease of use adjacent to each major city on the map. The populations of selected cities and towns are listed. Also shown are schematic boundaries for significant geographical features, such as Puget Sound, the Columbia River, and San Francisco Bay." World Digital Library.
Created / Published
- [S.l., 1915?]
- - Roads--Pacific States--Maps
- - United States--Pacific States
- - 27883 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Shows roads from Vancouver to San Diego.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as a raster image.
- 1 map : col. ; 9 x 41 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- G4231.P2 1915 .W4 TIL
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Western Motor Car Route Guide. [S.l., ?, 1915] Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/99446217/.
APA citation style:
(1915) Western Motor Car Route Guide. [S.l., ?] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/99446217/.
MLA citation style:
Western Motor Car Route Guide. [S.l., ?, 1915] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/99446217/>.