Maps The Tribune war maps
About this Item
- The Tribune war maps
- Contributor Names
- Colton, G. Woolworth (George Woolworth), 1827-1901.
- Created / Published
- New York, New-York Daily Tribune, 1861.
- Map of eastern Virginia. 24 x 19 cm.--Map from Cairo to Memphis. 22 x 13 cm.--A strategic map of the seat of war [in Virginia and Maryland] 16 x 19 cm.--Acquia Creek and its environs. 17 x 13 cm.--The seat of war in Missouri. 19 x 19 cm.--The District of Columbia. 21 x 13 cm.--A map of the seat of war in the West [Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, and Missouri by J.H. Colton] 17 x 19 cm.--The position in western Virginia. 12 x 13 cm.-Map showing the position of the Union district in East Tennessee. 10 x 19 cm.--Fort Monroe and Norfolk. 14 x 7 cm.--Plan of Fortress Monroe. 14 x 7 cm.--Harper's Ferry and the region round about. 21 x 18 cm.--The battle field at Bull Run. 5 x 13 cm.--Map of New Orleans and Mississippi Delta. 23 x 19 cm.--Baltimore and its points of attack and defence. 24 x 19 cm.--Seat of war in Northern Virginia [with table of distances from Baltimore] 37 x 7 cm.--Great Bethel [i.e., Big Bethel, Virginia] and its batteries. 12 x 7 cm.
- Subject Headings
- - United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - United States
- - Various scales.
- - LC Civil War Maps (2nd ed.), 6.2
- - From the New-York Daily Tribune, July 30, 1861.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as raster image.
- - Includes "List of killed and wounded at the battle of Bull Run," p.3-4.
- - Description derived from published bibliography.
- 17 maps on 4 p., each p. 59 x 42 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- G3701.S5 1861 .C62
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Library of Congress Online Catalog
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
Articles and Essays with this item:
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Colton, G. Woolworth. The Tribune war maps. New York, New-York Daily Tribune, 1861. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/99447010/. (Accessed September 25, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Colton, G. W. (1861) The Tribune war maps. New York, New-York Daily Tribune. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/99447010/.
MLA citation style:
Colton, G. Woolworth. The Tribune war maps. New York, New-York Daily Tribune, 1861. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/99447010/>.