Map War maps and diagrams.
About this Item
- War maps and diagrams.
- Created / Published
- N.Y., Waters & Son, engravers, 
- Important operations in Kentucky and Tennessee. The battle ground of Gen. Nelson at Pikeville, Piketon--The brilliant victory over the rebels--Situation of the bridges destroyed by the unionists of Tennessee--The Cumberland Gap-Positions of the contending armies, &c, &c, &c. 30 x 35 cm.--The seat of war in Kentucky. 16 x 17 cm.--The fight at Santa Rosa Island. Map of Santa Rosa Island where the reported fight between the rebels and Wilson's Zouaves took place. 17 x 12 cm.--Map of the rebel capital. Topographical sketch of the city of Richmond, Virginia, with the surrounding encampments. 26 x 34 cm.--The affair at Chicamacomico. The advance of Col. Hawkins-retreat of Col. Brown-shelling of the rebels by the Montecello [sic]. 15 x 12 cm.--Map of battles on Bull Run, near Manassas. . . made from observation by Solomon Bamberger. Richmond, West & Johnson. Photographed on wood from the original drawing & engraved by Waters & Son, N.Y. [Map is identified as a "Very curious rebel semi-official pictorial view of the battle of Bull Run."] 20 x 23 cm.--The seat of war in Missouri. The important points of the war, showing the positions of the rebels under Generals McCulloch and Price, and the advance of the Union troops under Generals Fremont, Hunter, Siegel [sic], Sturgis, &c., &c. 23 x 25 cm.--The upper Potomac. Map of the Potomac from Washington to Harper's Ferry, showing the scene of operations of Generals Banks and Stone. 25 x 24 cm.--The scene of action. Official plan of the forts at Hilton Head and Bay Point, Port Royal Harbor, S.C., showing one position of the naval vessels during the action of November 7, 1861. 14 x 12 cm.--Fort Walker. Diagram of the fort at Hilton Head, with position of guns. 14 x 12 cm.--Seat of war around Paducah and Columbus, Georgia [i.e., Kentucky] 13 x 12 cm.--The seat of war in western Virginia. The localities of the army of occupation-the positions of Generals Rosencrans, Reynolds, Cox, Schenck, Benham, & c., on the Union side, and those of the rebel Generals Lee, Floyd, Anderson &c. 25 x 24 cm.--The grea[t] naval expedition. The coast of South Carolina from Georgetown, [S.C.] and Savannah, Ga., showing Port Royal entrance and Beaufort, with their railroads and water connections with Charleston and Savannah. 25 x 24 cm.
- Subject Headings
- - Southern States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - United States--Southern States
- - Various scales.
- - Incomplete copy of the map supplement issued by the New York Herald. Library of Congress bound copy of the newspaper for October-December 1861 does not include the map supplement.
- - LC Civil War Maps (2nd ed.), 14.75
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as raster image.
- - Description derived from published bibliography.
- 13 maps on 4 p., each p. 51 x 31 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- G3861.S5 1861 .W3
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- Various scales. Incomplete copy of the map supplement issued by the New York Herald. Library of Congress bound copy of the newspaper for October-December 1861 does not include the map supplement. LC Civil War Maps (2nd ed.), 14.75 Available also through the Library of Congress web site as raster image. Description derived from published bibliography.
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
War Maps and Diagrams. [N.Y., Waters & Son, engravers, 1861] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/99447044/. (Accessed October 21, 2017.)
APA citation style:
(1861) War Maps and Diagrams. [N.Y., Waters & Son, engravers] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/99447044/.
MLA citation style:
War Maps and Diagrams. [N.Y., Waters & Son, engravers, 1861] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/99447044/>.