Maps Potamac River (in four sheets).
About this Item
- Potamac River (in four sheets).
- Contributor Names
- United States Coast Survey.
- Created / Published
- [Washington, D. C., Office of the Coast Survey,] 1862.
- 1. From entrance to Piney Point. . . Triangulation by E. Blunt, R. D. Cutts and J. Farley, Assists. Topography by R. D. Cutts, John Seib, I. Hull Adams, Assists. and S. A. Wainwright, Sub-Assist. Hydrography by the parties under the command of Lieut Comdg. S. P. Lee and Comdr. W. T. Muse, U.S.N. Assists. 59 x 74 cm. (Its [no. 388]) "No. 17" in the upper left corner.--1. Another issue. Redd. drng. by M. J. McClery & A. Lindenkohl. Engd. by A. Maedel, H. S. Barnard & A. Petersen. 59 x 74 cm. (Its no. 388) "No. 388" rather than "no. 17" is printed in the upper left corner. Seal of U. S. Coast Survey is printed below the map title.--2. From Piney Point to Lower Cedar Point . . . Triangulation by John Farley, Assist., Fairman Rogers, Actg. Assist, C. Ferguson and F. P. Webber, Sub-Assists. Topography by I. Hull Adams, Assist., S. A. Wainwright, J. Mechan, Sub-Assists., and C. Hosmer, Aid. Hydrography by the parties under the command of Comdr. W. T. Muse and Lieut. Comdr. T. S. Phelps, U.S.N. Assistants. Redd. drng. by L. D. Williams and A. Lindenkohl. Engd. by A. Maedel, H. S. Barnard and A. Petersen. 59 x 78 cm. (Its no. 389)--3. From Lower Cedar Point to Indian Head . . . Triangulation by C. Ferguson and F. P. Webber, Sub-Assists. Topography by H. L. Whiting, A. W. Longfellow, Assists., J. Mechan, Sub-Assist., and C. Hosmer, Aid. Fairman Rogers, Acting Assistant Coast Survey in immediate charge of operations. Hydrography by the party under the command of Lt. Comdr. T. S. Phelps, U.S.N. Assistant. Redd. drng. by A. Lindenkohl, L. Karcher, and a. Balbach. Engd. by A. Maedel, A. Petersen, and F. W. Benner. 59 x 74 cm. (Its no. 390)--4. From Indian Head to Little Falls Bridge. 99 x 59 cm. (Its no. 391)--4. -Another issue. H. Lindenkohl & Chas. G. Krebs, lith. (Its no. 391)
- Subject Headings
- - Potomac River--Maps
- - United States--Potomac River
- - Scale 1:40,000 and 1:60,000.
- - LC Civil War Maps (2nd ed.), 35.2
- - Various issues of each sheet, some colored.
- - Sheets 1 to 3 titled as above; sheet 4 titled "Preliminary chart of the Potomac River (in four sheets)"
- - Sheets 1 to 3 published at the scale of 1:60,000; sheet 4 is at 1:40,000.
- - Chart of the Potamac River from Washington, D. C., to its entrance into the Chesapeake Bay. Chart indicates soundings, lighhouses, and the shore line configuration.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as raster image.
- - "No. 17" in the upper left corner.
- - Some sheets verified by J.E. Hilgard.
- - Includes many more soundings in the Potamac River.
- - Description derived from published bibliography.
- 4 maps, on 4 sheets, 99 x 59 cm. or smaller.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- G3792.P6 1862 .U5
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Library of Congress Online Catalog
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
United States Coast Survey. Potamac River in four sheets. [Washington, D. C., Office of the Coast Survey, 1862] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/99447102/. (Accessed August 27, 2016.)
APA citation style:
United States Coast Survey. (1862) Potamac River in four sheets. [Washington, D. C., Office of the Coast Survey] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/99447102/.
MLA citation style:
United States Coast Survey. Potamac River in four sheets. [Washington, D. C., Office of the Coast Survey, 1862] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/99447102/>.