Map [Maps of the environs of forts Franklin, Alexander, and Ripley, in Montgomery County, Maryland].
About this Item
- [Maps of the environs of forts Franklin, Alexander, and Ripley, in Montgomery County, Maryland].
- Contributor Names
- United States. Army. Corps of Engineers.
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Fortification--Maryland--Montgomery County--Maps
- - United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - Montgomery County (Md.)--Maps, Manuscript
- - United States--Maryland--Montgomery County
- - Four fort vicinity sketch maps, each covering the same area, but in various stages of completion. The map with the most detail includes roads, drainage, vegetation, and fortifications.
- - Relief shown by contours on some maps.
- - Forts Franklin, Alexander, and Ripley were part of the defenses of Washington.
- - Title from published Civil War bibliography.
- - Manuscript: pen-and-ink (black, brown), blue watercolor, lead pencil.
- - At upper left in india ink: 211, L. Sheet 4.
- - Imperfect: Stained at edges, small internal stains, torn at edges, taped on verso, small sections missing along bottom edge.
- - LC Civil War Maps (2nd ed.), 688
- - Includes 2 male figure drawings at upper left (pen-and-ink, watercolor, lead pencil).
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as raster image.
- 4 ms. maps on 1 sheet : some col. ; 26 x 25 cm. or smaller, sheet 55 x 68 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- G3843.M6S5 186- .U5
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
- IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Manifest (JSON/LD)
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
United States Army. Corps Of Engineers. Maps of the environs of forts Franklin, Alexander, and Ripley, in Montgomery County, Maryland.  Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/99448354/.
APA citation style:
United States Army. Corps Of Engineers. Maps of the environs of forts Franklin, Alexander, and Ripley, in Montgomery County, Maryland.  [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/99448354/.
MLA citation style:
United States Army. Corps Of Engineers. Maps of the environs of forts Franklin, Alexander, and Ripley, in Montgomery County, Maryland.  Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/99448354/>.
More Maps like this
MapSketch book of Jed. Hotchkiss, Capt. & Top. Eng., Hd. Qrs., 2nd Corps, Army of N. ...
Sketch book of Jedediah Hotchkiss, Captain and Topographical Engineer, Headquarters, 2nd Corps, Army of Northern Virginia Shows general maps of northwestern Virginia and parts of Montgomery County, Maryland, with some showing roads, troop movements, and the names of some residents. Relief shown by hachures. "This volume is my...
- Contributor: Hotchkiss, Jedediah
- Date: 1862
MapField note book of Wm. Luce, Eng. of Capt. J.W. Abert's party of U.S. Top. Engs., ...
Field note book of William Luce, Engineer of Captain J.W. Abert's party of United States Topographical Engineers, with pass from General Banks of October 1861 | Captured field notes Shows roads and general maps in Frederick and Montgomery counties, Maryland, and names of some residents. Relief shown by hachures. Pen-and-ink and pencil on lined paper. Folded pass pasted to p. ....
- Contributor: Luce, William - Hotchkiss, Jedediah
- Date: 1861
MapPlan of the Battle of Ball's Bluff Va. Fought October 21st 1861. Shows the Potomac River in the area of Loudoun County, Va., and Montgomery County, Md., where Union troops under Col. Edward D. Baker faced Confederate troops commanded by Evans. What was meant...
- Contributor: Sneden, Robert Knox
- Date: 1861-10-21
MapPlan of the Battle of Monocacy, Maryland, July 9th, 1864. The map shows the location of troops on either side of the Monocacy River and north into the city of Frederick, Md. This engagement, part of "Early's Washington Raid" took place on...
- Contributor: Sneden, Robert Knox
- Date: 1864-07-09
MapMap of the Confederate lines from Fort Gregg to Mrs. Price's : [Virginia] Relief shown by hachures. Shows portions of the fortifications of Richmond. LC Civil War Maps (2nd ed.), 630 Pen-and-ink on tracing linen, mounted on paper. Available also through the Library of Congress...
- Contributor: Hoffmann, J. Paul
- Date: 186?