Maps Map of eastern Virginia,
About this Item
- Map of eastern Virginia,
- Contributor Names
- Nicholson, W. L.
- Created / Published
- [S.l.], 1862.
- Subject Headings
- - Virginia--Maps
- - United States--Virginia
- - Scale ca. 1:887,040.
- - LC Civil War Maps (2nd ed.), 465.26
- - General map of eastern Virginia showing cities and towns, roads, rivers, and relief by hachures. The map is overprinted in red to indicate railroads and concentric circles centered on Richmond. Circles are at intervals of ten miles.
- - In his report to the Superintendent of the Coast survey dated November 1, 1862, Nicholson notes that "In addition to the printing of our charts proper, a map representing the seat of war in Virginia was, at the suggestion of the Superintendent, compiled by myself during the past year, and printed in colors, partly as an experiment in that class of work, and partly to meet the popular demand for information on the movements of our armies. This map has met with unexpected success, and has been much called for, and copies quite freely distributed; but, in order to cover the expenses of its getting up and printing, a number of copies have been placed in the hands of our sale agents, the proceeds of which have more than covered expenses; in all, some five thousand five hundred copies have been printed, over twenty-five hundred sold, and nearly three thousand copies gratuitously distributed." (Report of the Superintendent of the Coast Survey, showing the Progress of the Survey during the Year 1862 (Washington: Government Printing Office, 1864). p. 151.)
- - This is the first of seven issues in the Library of Congress published in 1862. Distinguishing characteristics include the depiction of the "Blairsville Branch" railroad, the "Manassas Gap R. R." extending to Harrisonburg, Virginia, and the "Delaware R.R." on the Eastern Shore extending to Seaford.
- - Description derived from published bibliography.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as raster image.
- 1 map, col., 62 x 48 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- G3880 1862 .N54
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Library of Congress Online Catalog
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Nicholson, W. L. Map of eastern Virginia. [S.l, 1862] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/99448500/. (Accessed August 23, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Nicholson, W. L. (1862) Map of eastern Virginia. [S.l] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/99448500/.
MLA citation style:
Nicholson, W. L. Map of eastern Virginia. [S.l, 1862] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/99448500/>.