Maps Central [Virginia] showing Maj. Gen'l P. H. Sherida[n's campaigns] and marches of the cavalry under his [command] in 1864-65
About this Item
- Central [Virginia] showing Maj. Gen'l P. H. Sherida[n's campaigns] and marches of the cavalry under his [command] in 1864-65
- Contributor Names
- Von Reizenstein, B.
- Gillespie, G. L.
- Created / Published
- [S.l., 1865]
- Subject Headings
- - Sheridan, Philip Henry,--1831-1888
- - Virginia--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Campaigns--Maps
- - United States--Virginia
- - Scale 1:350,000.
- - LC Civil War Maps (2nd ed.), 520a.5
- - At head of title: Engineers Office Mi[lit. Div. of the Gulf] map n[o. 6]
- - Imperfect. Part of the title and the extreme eastern portion of the map are wanting.
- - Map is annotated, in different colors, to show seven cavalry raids by General Sheridan.
- - Map extends from Martinsburg south to Danville, and Lexington east to Washington, D.C., and indicates towns, railroads, drainage, bridges, and battlefields.
- - Pasted in the upper left hand corner of the map is a printed description of the "Routes of the Raids Made by the Cavalry under Major General P. H. Sheridan, U.S.A."
- - Another copy is described as item 2.217 in A Guide to Civil War Maps in the National Archives (Washington, 1986)
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as raster image.
- - Description derived from published bibliography.
- 1 map, col., 95 x 68 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- G3881.S5 1865 .V6
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Library of Congress Online Catalog
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Von Reizenstein, B, and G. L Gillespie. [Central Virginia showing Maj. Gen'l P. H. Sheridan's campaigns and marches of the cavalry under his command in 1864-65]. [S.l, 1865] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/99448511/. (Accessed December 05, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Von Reizenstein, B. & Gillespie, G. L. (1865) [Central Virginia showing Maj. Gen'l P. H. Sheridan's campaigns and marches of the cavalry under his command in 1864-65]. [S.l] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/99448511/.
MLA citation style:
Von Reizenstein, B, and G. L Gillespie. [Central Virginia showing Maj. Gen'l P. H. Sheridan's campaigns and marches of the cavalry under his command in 1864-65]. [S.l, 1865] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/99448511/>.