Maps The historical war map.
About this Item
- The historical war map.
- Contributor Names
- Asher & Co.
- Russell, B. B. (Benjamin B.)
- Created / Published
- Buffalo, N.Y. E. R. Jewett & Co., engravers c1862.
- Subject Headings
- - United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - United States
- - Scale ca. 1:3,250,000.
- - LC Civil War Maps (2nd ed.), 21.1
- - In Russell, Benjamin B. The historical war map. Boston  24 p.
- - Map of southeastern United States showing forts and battlefields, railroads, state boundaries, rivers, and town.
- - Principal engagements are not described in this or in the following issues (LC Civil War Maps (2nd ed.), nos. 22 and 23).
- - Population statistics and "Date[s] of admission and secession of the Southern States" are given in lower left corner.
- - Pamphlet includes descriptions of engagements through the battle of "Culpeper or Cedar Mountain" fought August 9, 1862. Following four maps are also included in the pamphlet: [p. 7] Map of the battle of Bull Run. [p. 15] Fort Donelson. [p. 17] Richmond, Va. and vicinity.
- - Gift of John Davis Batchelder.
- - Description derived from published bibliography.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as raster image.
- 1 map col. 62 x 62 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- G3701.S5 1862 .A72
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Asher & Co, and B. B Russell. The Historical War Map. Buffalo, N.Y. E. R. Jewett & Co., engravers, 1862. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/99466784/. (Accessed January 21, 2017.)
APA citation style:
Asher & Co & Russell, B. B. (1862) The Historical War Map. Buffalo, N.Y. E. R. Jewett & Co., engravers. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/99466784/.
MLA citation style:
Asher & Co, and B. B Russell. The Historical War Map. Buffalo, N.Y. E. R. Jewett & Co., engravers, 1862. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/99466784/>.