Map Map of the battle of Gettysburg, Pa., July 1st, 2nd & 3rd, 1863, showing line of battle on P.M. of 2nd
About this Item
- Map of the battle of Gettysburg, Pa., July 1st, 2nd & 3rd, 1863, showing line of battle on P.M. of 2nd
- "The Battle of Gettysburg, one of the most decisive battles of the American Civil War, was fought on July 1-3, 1863 near a small Pennsylvania town important for its many road and railroad connections. The Confederate army under General Robert E. Lee consisted of 72,000 men and was organized into corps commanded by Generals James Longstreet, Richard S. Ewell, and Ambrose P. Hill and a cavalry corps commanded by General J.E.B. "Jeb" Stuart. The Union army commanded by General George G. Meade had about 94,000 men, organized into seven corps and a cavalry corps. This map shows the Confederate and Union positions late on July 2, the second day of the battle. Confederate forces are identified at the corps level; more detail is provided about the Union side, including the names of some division commanders, breastworks, and cavalry positions. The map was made by William H. Willcox, captain and aide de camp on the staff of General John F. Reynolds, a Union corps commander who was killed on the morning of July 1. Gettysburg had the largest number of casualties of any battle in the Civil War, with about 23,000 killed, wounded, and captured or missing on each side. The battle was a defeat for the Confederacy, as it forced Lee to break off his invasion of the North and retreat back into Virginia." World Digital Library.
- Willcox, William H.
Created / Published
- [S.l., 1863]
- - Gettysburg, Battle of, Gettysburg, Pa., 1863--Maps
- - Gettysburg (Pa.)--Maps
- - United States--Pennsylvania--Gettysburg
- - Description derived from published bibliography.
- - Shows topography by hachures, vegetation, drainage, roads, railroads, houses, stonewalls, cultivated areas, churches, and cemeteries. Union and Confederate positions are shown, including the location of the artillery. Confederate corps are named; Union forces are given in more detail, including names of some division commanders. Shows the Union breast works and cavalry positions.
- - Scale ca. 1:13,100.
- - LC Civil War Maps (2nd ed.), 357
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as raster image.
- 1 map col. 49 x 43 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- G3824.G3S5 1863 .W5
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Willcox, William H. Map of the battle of Gettysburg, Pa., July 1st, 2nd & 3rd, showing line of battle on P.M. of 2nd. [S.l, 1863] Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/99466787/.
APA citation style:
Willcox, W. H. (1863) Map of the battle of Gettysburg, Pa., July 1st, 2nd & 3rd, showing line of battle on P.M. of 2nd. [S.l] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/99466787/.
MLA citation style:
Willcox, William H. Map of the battle of Gettysburg, Pa., July 1st, 2nd & 3rd, showing line of battle on P.M. of 2nd. [S.l, 1863] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/99466787/>.