Audio Recording Recording of shape note singing convention at Strangers Home Missionary Baptist Church, 1451 W. 63 St., Chicago, Illinois, open-reel version of singing
About this Item
- Recording of shape note singing convention at Strangers Home Missionary Baptist Church, 1451 W. 63 St., Chicago, Illinois, open-reel version of singing
- Contributor Names
- Robinson, Beverly J. (Collector)
- Created / Published
- Chicago, Illinois, May 22, 1977
- Subject Headings
- - African Americans
- - Ethnography
- - Songs
- - Illinois -- Chicago
- - Acapella Singing Convention, part 3
- - Recording of a Shape Note Singing Convention at Stranger’s Home Missionary Baptist Church, 1451 West 63 St., Chicago; recorded on open-reel tape (same content recorded on audiocassette at call number AFC 1981/004: AFS 20625a); Ollie Gill is the song leader; singers begin many hymns “sol-fa,” i.e., pronouncing the syllables associated with the seven-shape hymnal in use at this event; then they sing the words to the hymn; selections include “I'm Gonna Walk With Him,” “As Abraham I Look for a City,” “There Is A Land,” “When The Evening Shadows Fall,” “A Closer Walk With Thee,” and “I'm Ready to Go.”
- - After completion of the fieldwork for the the Chicago Ethnic Arts Project, the staff at the American Folklife Center selected sound recordings of special interest and quality to represent the project, consisting of four reels of edited selections and three reels in their entirety. This item reproduces one of those reels. A copy of the set of seven reels was presented to the project partner, the Illinois Arts Council. Annotations to the selected recordings are provided in the manuscript at call number in AFC 1981/004: Box 11, Folder 192; this reel is described on sequence-pages 74-75.
- audiotape reel, 7 in.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- Call number: AFC 1981/004: AFS 20626
- MBRS Shelflist: RXA 1034
- Field Project Identifier: CH77-T103-R
- Source Collection
- Chicago Ethnic Arts Project collection (AFC 1981/004)
- American Folklife Center
- Online Format
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Chicago Ethnic Arts Project collection (AFC 1981/004), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Robinson, Beverly J. Recording of shape note singing convention at Strangers Home Missionary Baptist Church,W. 63 St., Chicago, Illinois, open-reel version of singing. Chicago, Illinois, 1977. Audio. https://www.loc.gov/item/afc1981004_afs20626/.
APA citation style:
Robinson, B. J. (1977) Recording of shape note singing convention at Strangers Home Missionary Baptist Church,W. 63 St., Chicago, Illinois, open-reel version of singing. Chicago, Illinois. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/afc1981004_afs20626/.
MLA citation style:
Robinson, Beverly J. Recording of shape note singing convention at Strangers Home Missionary Baptist Church,W. 63 St., Chicago, Illinois, open-reel version of singing. Chicago, Illinois, 1977. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/afc1981004_afs20626/>.