Photo, Print, Drawing Mining operations and abandoned older mining equipment, Butte, Montana
About this Item
- Mining operations and abandoned older mining equipment, Butte, Montana
- Crummett, Michael, 1948- (Photographer)
Created / Published
- Butte, Montana, August 27, 1979 - August 29, 1979
- - Signs and signboards
- - Copper mines and mining
- - Spoil banks
- - Mining machinery
- - Central business districts
- - Mural painting and decoration
- - Photographs
- - Ethnography
- - United States -- Montana -- Butte
- - Index data: Image numbers, descriptions: mining scenes at ARCO's Anaconda Copper Berkeley Pit in Butte MT: 1, mammoth dump truck hauls a load of ore to the top of Berkeley Pit; 2-3, dump truck unloads spoils at the portion of the pit that they are filling in; 4-5, water forms a stream from dewatered aquifers and leaches out the copper salts from the ore-laden soil; 6-7, pools of "copper water" that have formed; 8-10, Berkeley Pit with part of Butte and Beaverhead-Deerlodge National Forest Mountains in the background; 11-14, old tunnel-mining cars used to haul the ore when the mining was underground; scenes of Butte MT: 15-17, an old tunnel-mining car in a front yard, now serving as a flower box; 18-19, the historic M&M Bar and Cafe in downtown Butte; 20, sign painted on building, "Creamery Cafe - Booths for Ladies."
- 35 mm color slide
Call Number/Physical Location
- Call number: AFC 1981/005: MT9-MC33
- Montana Folklife Survey collection (AFC 1981/005)
- American Folklife Center
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress believes that some of the materials in this collection are in the public domain or have no known copyright restrictions, and are therefore free to use or reuse. For example, the fieldwork in this collection is in the public domain in the United States.
However, the Library has obtained permission for the use of other materials, and presents additional materials for educational and research purposes in accordance with fair use under United States copyright law. For example, some of the recordings contain copyrighted music, and not all of the performers and other individuals who were recorded signed releases for public use of their work.
In addition, the American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit line: Montana Folklife Survey collection (AFC 1981/005), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Crummett, Michael. Mining operations and abandoned older mining equipment, Butte, Montana. United States Butte Montana, 1979. Butte, Montana, - August 29, 1979. Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/afc1981005_mc33/.
APA citation style:
Crummett, M. (1979) Mining operations and abandoned older mining equipment, Butte, Montana. United States Butte Montana, 1979. Butte, Montana, - August 29, 1979. [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/afc1981005_mc33/.
MLA citation style:
Crummett, Michael. Mining operations and abandoned older mining equipment, Butte, Montana. Butte, Montana, - August 29, 1979. Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/afc1981005_mc33/>.