Photo, Print, Drawing Bluegrass jam session, Carl Shockley's Shell Station, Hillsville, Virginia
About this Item
- Bluegrass jam session, Carl Shockley's Shell Station, Hillsville, Virginia
- Wolfe, Charles K. (Research team member)
- Adler, Thomas A. (Photographer)
Created / Published
- Hillsville, Carroll County, Virginia, None 1978, 9
- - Folklore--Virginia
- - Blue Ridge Parkway (N.C. and Va.)
- - Photographs
- - Ethnography
- - Documentary photographs
- - United States -- Virginia -- Carroll County -- Hillsville
- Documentary photographs
- - Index data: 2-5, Daughter of one of the bluegrass fans, other early arrivals; 6, 7, Loungers on the bench, just outside the office; 8-10, The Interior of the office, where the music will be, with Wendell Cockerham, Lonnie Cole (w/ banjo), and Charles Wolfe; 11, Ronnie Lyons with mandolin, and fans, in back room; 12-14, Wendell Cockerham and Lonnie Cole (w/ banjo); 15, Fans looking through window at C. J. Shockley; 16, Lonnie Cole claw hammering the banjo; 17-22, Bobby Harrison arrives, and the four musicians begin to tune up; 23-30, Picking: Wendell Cockerham (banjo); Lonnie Cole (fiddle); Bobby Harrison (guitar); Ronnie Lyons (mandolin); 31-33, Pickers, fans, and Charles Wolfe recording; 34-36, The musicians; 37, Older man in cowboy hat and overalls, watching and listening
- 35 mm black-and-white film negatives
Call Number/Physical Location
- Call number: AFC 1982/009: 20544-40
- Blue Ridge Parkway Folklife Project collection, 1977-1981 (AFC 1982/009)
- American Folklife Center
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress believes that some of the materials in this collection are in the public domain or have no known copyright restrictions, and are therefore free to use and reuse. For example, the fieldwork in this collection is in the public domain in the United States.
However, the Library has obtained permission for the use of other materials, and presents additional materials for educational and research purposes in accordance with fair use under United States copyright law. For example, some of the recordings contain copyrighted music, and not all of the performers and other individuals who were recorded signed releases for public use of their work.
In addition, the American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit line: Blue Ridge Parkway Folklife Project collection (AFC 1982/009), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Wolfe, Charles K, and Thomas A Adler. Bluegrass jam session, Carl Shockley's Shell Station, Hillsville, Virginia. United States Virginia Hillsville Carroll County, 1978. Hillsville, Carroll County, Virginia, None , 9. Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/afc1982009_20544_40/.
APA citation style:
Wolfe, C. K. & Adler, T. A. (1978) Bluegrass jam session, Carl Shockley's Shell Station, Hillsville, Virginia. United States Virginia Hillsville Carroll County, 1978. Hillsville, Carroll County, Virginia, None , 9. [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/afc1982009_20544_40/.
MLA citation style:
Wolfe, Charles K, and Thomas A Adler. Bluegrass jam session, Carl Shockley's Shell Station, Hillsville, Virginia. Hillsville, Carroll County, Virginia, None , 9. Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/afc1982009_20544_40/>.