Photo, Print, Drawing Cambodian music performed at the home of Sorn Veuk, Lowell, Massachusetts
About this Item
- Cambodian music performed at the home of Sorn Veuk, Lowell, Massachusetts
- DeNatale, Douglas (Research team member)
- Taylor, David Alan, 1951- (Photographer)
Created / Published
- September 20, 1987
- - Folklore--Massachusetts
- - Photographs
- - Ethnography
- - Documentary photographs
- - United States -- Massachusetts -- Lowell
- Documentary photographs
- - Index data: All of these photos were taken at the home of Sorn Veuk, 50 Ware Street, Lowell, Massachusetts, In connection with the field recording of traditional Cambodian music by Doug DeNatale and David Taylor. These Images are posed shots of Cambodian musicians taken at the end of the recording session. The musicians are sitting or standing in front of a curtain that surrounds Veuk's bed. The names of the musicians were not recorded by me, so I cannot be absolutely certain that I have correctly identified everyone. (For additional information, see LFP-DT-F0920.A, Doug's reel-to-reel tape log, Doug's fieldnotes, and Doug's photo logs.) Technical data: 35mm Nikkor lens and Vivitar 283 strobe used for each shot; film is T-Max 400. 1-3 blank Images (strobe unit not activated). 4, Nhak Chann plays the troe ou (violin with small resonator); 5, Nhak Chann plays the takne (dulcimer); 6-7, Sorn Veuk plays the skoe (drum); 8-9, unidentified musician plays the klm (hammered dulcimer); 10-11, Sokhm Bun plays the banjo; 12-13, unidentified musician plays the kloy (flute); 14-15, Chorb Chan plays the troe ou (violin with small resonator); 16, unidentified musician plays the kloy (flute), Chorb Chan plays the troe ou; 17-18, unidentified musician plays the troe sao (violin with large resonator); 19-20, all the musicians in the group, front row: Sokhm Bun (banjo), Nhak Chann (takne). back row: Sorn Veuk (skoe), unidentified, unidentified, unidentified, Chorb Chan; 21, photographs and posters on the wall of Sorn Veuk's apartment. Note: photo at top-center Is of Veuk and his wife; 22, photographs and posters on the wall of Sorn Veuk's apartment; 23, Sorn Veuk and Doug DeNatale. Note: Veuk's t-shirt reads: "Irish American"; 24, carving, in teak, of Angkor Wat done ly Sorn Veuk while In refugee camp.
- 35 mm black-and-white film negatives
Call Number/Physical Location
- Call number: AFC 1987/042: LFP-DT-229
- Lowell Folklife Project collection (AFC 1987/042)
- American Folklife Center
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress believes that some of the materials in this collection are in the public domain or have no known copyright restrictions, and are therefore free to use or reuse. For example, the fieldwork in this collection is in the public domain in the United States.
However, the Library has obtained permission for the use of other materials, and presents additional materials for educational and research purposes in accordance with fair use under United States copyright law. For example, some of the recordings contain copyrighted music, and not all of the performers and other individuals who were recorded signed releases for public use of their work.
In addition, the American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit line: Lowell Folklife Project collection (AFC 1987/042), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
DeNatale, Douglas, and David Alan Taylor. Cambodian music performed at the home of Sorn Veuk, Lowell, Massachusetts. United States Lowell Massachusetts, 1987. Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/afc1987042_dt_229/.
APA citation style:
Denatale, D. & Taylor, D. A. (1987) Cambodian music performed at the home of Sorn Veuk, Lowell, Massachusetts. United States Lowell Massachusetts, 1987. [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/afc1987042_dt_229/.
MLA citation style:
DeNatale, Douglas, and David Alan Taylor. Cambodian music performed at the home of Sorn Veuk, Lowell, Massachusetts. Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/afc1987042_dt_229/>.