Photo, Print, Drawing Variety of houses in Madawaska, Maine; Acadian Mass, Saint David Catholic Church, Madawaska, Maine
About this Item
- Variety of houses in Madawaska, Maine; Acadian Mass, Saint David Catholic Church, Madawaska, Maine
- Ornstein, Lisa (Research team member)
- Whitman, David A., 1950- (Photographer)
Created / Published
- Madawaska, Maine, June 27, 1991
- - Folklore--Maine
- - Photographs
- - Ethnography
- - Documentary photographs
- - United States -- Maine -- Aroostook County -- Madawaska
- Documentary photographs
- - Index data: These images document several different houses in Madawaska, ME; these houses were chosen to photograph to typify certain decorative aspects common in the study area; 1-3, House with large decorative butterflies; 4-6, Several different houses, each using a red-brown shade of paint either on walls or trim; 7-9, Different houses painted in vivid green/blue shades; These images document the Acadian Mass held annually at St. David Catholic Church in Madawaska, ME, during the Acadian Festival week; 10-20, After the mass, the congregation was led by the past and present reunion families in a procession from the church to the cross commemorating the Acadian landing site. In #16, fieldworker Lisa Ornstein photographs the procession.
- 35 mm color slide
Call Number/Physical Location
- Call number: AFC 1991/029: DW-C024
- Field project identifier: MAP-DW-C024
- Maine Acadian Cultural Survey collection (AFC 1991/029)
- American Folklife Center
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress believes that some of the materials in this collection are in the public domain or have no known copyright restrictions, and are therefore free to use or reuse. For example, the fieldwork in this collection is in the public domain in the United States.
However, the Library has obtained permission for the use of other materials, and presents additional materials for educational and research purposes in accordance with fair use under United States copyright law. For example, some of the recordings contain copyrighted music, and not all of the performers and other individuals who were recorded signed releases for public use of their work.
In addition, the American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit line: Maine Acadian Cultural Survey collection (AFC 1991/029), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Ornstein, Lisa, and David A Whitman. Variety of houses in Madawaska, Maine; Acadian Mass, Saint David Catholic Church, Madawaska, Maine. United States Aroostook County Maine Madawaska, 1991. Madawaska, Maine. Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/afc1991029_dw_c024/.
APA citation style:
Ornstein, L. & Whitman, D. A. (1991) Variety of houses in Madawaska, Maine; Acadian Mass, Saint David Catholic Church, Madawaska, Maine. United States Aroostook County Maine Madawaska, 1991. Madawaska, Maine. [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/afc1991029_dw_c024/.
MLA citation style:
Ornstein, Lisa, and David A Whitman. Variety of houses in Madawaska, Maine; Acadian Mass, Saint David Catholic Church, Madawaska, Maine. Madawaska, Maine. Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/afc1991029_dw_c024/>.