Audio Recording Interview with Billie Jo McAfee, South Lake Tahoe, California, October 29, 2001 (part 2 of 2)
Interview with Billie Jo McAfee, South Lake Tahoe, California, October 29, 2001 (part 2 of 2)
About this Item
- Interview with Billie Jo McAfee, South Lake Tahoe, California, October 29, 2001 (part 2 of 2)
- Lukas, Scott (Interviewer)
- McAfee, Billie Jo (Interviewee)
Created / Published
- October 29, 2001
- - Afghanistan
- - September 11 Terrorist Attacks, 2001
- - Interviews
- - Personal narratives
- - California -- El Dorado County -- South Lake Tahoe
- Personal narratives
- - Sound Recording, Non-Music.
- - Interviewee occupation: Bookstore Operations Assistant.
- - Summary: Billie Jo McAfee awoke to televised coverage of the September 11 attacks that she initially mistook for a movie. She watched the media coverage for hours. She describes her fear of attacks occurring on the west coast, biological warfare, suspicious activities, and anti-Arab backlash. She also discusses patriotism, a possible call to arms, mourning, and the impact on children and family.
Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 2001/015: sr006b
- September 11, 2001 Documentary Project Collection (AFC 2001/015)
- American Folklife Center
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
September 11, 2001 Documentary Project collection (AFC 2001/015), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Lukas, Scott, and Billie Jo McAfee. Interview with Billie Jo McAfee, South Lake Tahoe, California,part 2 of 2. 2001. Audio. https://www.loc.gov/item/afc911000002/.
APA citation style:
Lukas, S. & McAfee, B. J. (2001) Interview with Billie Jo McAfee, South Lake Tahoe, California,part 2 of 2. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/afc911000002/.
MLA citation style:
Lukas, Scott, and Billie Jo McAfee. Interview with Billie Jo McAfee, South Lake Tahoe, California,part 2 of 2. 2001. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/afc911000002/>.