Audio Recording Interview with Nilson Rosado, New York, New York, October 19, 2001 (part 1 of 2)
Interview with Nilson Rosado, New York, New York, October 19, 2001 (part 1 of 2)
About this Item
- Interview with Nilson Rosado, New York, New York, October 19, 2001 (part 1 of 2)
- Contributor Names
- Quintero, Michael (Interviewer)
- Rosado, Nilson (Interviewee)
- Created / Published
- October 19, 2001
- Subject Headings
- - September 11 Terrorist Attacks, 2001
- - Immigrants--United States
- - Interviews
- - Personal narratives
- - New York -- New York
- Personal narratives
- - Sound Recording, Non-Music.
- - Interviewee occupation: Student.
- - Poor audio quality.
- - Interview conducted in Spanish.
- - Summary: Nilson Rosado, a native of Santo Domingo, worked near the World Trade Center as a concierge when the September 11 terrorist attacks occurred. He heard a loud crash which he thought was a missile. He stood at his post under the falling debris where the street filled with ash and people fled the scene. He aided a woman separated from her daughter. He watched rescue workers mobilized as the streets filled with police, firefighters and ambulances. It took hours to walk home to the Bronx. Now, he is vigilant during his commute and describes the nightlife of New York as quiet. He sees a more united America, but fears Latinos will suffer from tighter emigration restrictions and more difficulty gaining citizenship.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 2001/015: sr248a
- Source Collection
- September 11, 2001 Documentary Project Collection (AFC 2001/015)
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
September 11, 2001 Documentary Project collection (AFC 2001/015), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Quintero, Michael, and Nilson Rosado. Interview with Nilson Rosado, New York, New York,part 1 of 2. 2001. Audio. https://www.loc.gov/item/afc911000102/.
APA citation style:
Quintero, M. & Rosado, N. (2001) Interview with Nilson Rosado, New York, New York,part 1 of 2. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/afc911000102/.
MLA citation style:
Quintero, Michael, and Nilson Rosado. Interview with Nilson Rosado, New York, New York,part 1 of 2. 2001. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/afc911000102/>.
More Audio Recordings like this
Audio RecordingInterview with Nilson Rosado, New York, New York, October 19, 2001 (part 2 of 2)
- Contributor: Quintero, Michael - Rosado, Nilson
- Date: 2001-10-19
Audio RecordingInterview with Amanda Mummery, New York, New York, October 26, 2001
- Contributor: Rhee, Sonya - Mummery, Amanda
- Date: 2001-10-26
Audio RecordingInterview with Nkechi Okoro, New York, New York, November 16, 2001
- Contributor: Rhee, Sonya - Okoro, Nkechi
- Date: 2001-11-16
Audio RecordingInterview with Gregory Powell, New York, New York, November 16, 2001
- Contributor: Rhee, Sonya - Powell, Gregory
- Date: 2001-11-16
Audio RecordingInterview with Wendy Wong, New York, New York, November 16, 2001
- Contributor: Rhee, Sonya - Wong, Wendy
- Date: 2001-11-16