Audio Recording Conversation with 24 year old white male, Wilmington, North Carolina
Conversation with 24 year old white male, Wilmington, North Carolina
About this Item
- Conversation with 24 year old white male, Wilmington, North Carolina
- Unidentified (Speaker)
- Butters, Ronald R. (Collector)
Created / Published
- August 30, 1973
- - English language--Dialects--North Carolina
- - Family--History
- - Anecdotes
- - Men, White--North Carolina--Wilmington--Language
- - Young men--North Carolina--Language
- - Blue collar workers--North Carolina--Language
- - Drowning--North Carolina--Wrightsville
- - Cheating (Education)--North Carolina
- - Housing--North Carolina
- - Language surveys--North Carolina--Wrightsville
- - Interviews
- - Narratives
- - Reading
- - Personal narratives
- - United States -- North Carolina -- Wilmington
- Personal narratives
- - For rights information contact the collector’s institution: Duke University. Durham, NC
- - 24 year old white male, a high school graduate from Wilmington, NC. Subject is "utility operator" and father was farmer.
- - Talks about his family; job; school and teachers; snake hunting; and a tragic drowning. Repeats phrases.
- Audio tape; 10.5” reel, 7.5 ips; duration: 16:31
Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1986/022: AFS 24,349 a01
- Center for Applied Linguistics Collection (AFC 1986/022)
- American Folklife Center
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
If you have any more information about an item in the CAL collection, or if you are the copyright owner and believe our website has not properly attributed the item or has used it without permission, we want to hear from you. Please contact the staff of the American Folklife Center.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Center for Applied Linguistics collection (AFC 1986/022), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Unidentified, and Ronald R Butters. Conversation with 24 year old white male, Wilmington, North Carolina. 1973. Audio. https://www.loc.gov/item/afccal000340/.
APA citation style:
Unidentified & Butters, R. R. (1973) Conversation with 24 year old white male, Wilmington, North Carolina. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/afccal000340/.
MLA citation style:
Unidentified, and Ronald R Butters. Conversation with 24 year old white male, Wilmington, North Carolina. 1973. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/afccal000340/>.