Audio Recordings Tranquitro
About this Item
- Contributor Names
- Valdez, Amado (performer)
- Valdez, Señora (performer)
- Kennedy, Stetson (collector)
- Cook, Robert Harrison (collector)
- Kennedy, Stetson (speaker)
- Valdez, Amado (speaker)
- Created / Published
- Ybor City, Florida, 1939-08-27.
- Subject Headings
- - Cuban Americans
- - Children's songs
- - Teasing
- - United States -- Florida -- Ybor City -- place of recording
- Field recordings
- Spoken word
- - This is a taunting song made up by the children of Ybor City, and was used to mock the rhythm of the peculiar walk of an Italian vendor of crabs who lived in Ybor City about 20 years ago (ca. 1919). The song was sung by the children to taunt him, and then they would run away. Amado Valdez explains the imitation in Spanish. The last rendition of the song on the record, by Amado's wife, is the most accurate.
- - Ybor City, now a neighborhood within Tampa, was settled in 1886 by Cuban cigar manufacturers under the leadership of Vicente Martínez de Ybor. The cigar companies moved from Key West to avoid unionization of their workers.
- - Performance Note: "Tranquitro" (spoken and chanted) performed by Amado Valdez, and Señora Valdez at Ybor City, Florida, on August 27, 1939.
- sound recording
- sound disc
- 1 sound disc (1 minute, 59 seconds) : analog ; 12 in.
- AFC 1939/013: AFS 03536 A07 DLC-AFC American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
- Access Condition
- For rights information please contact the Folklife Reading Room at http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.afc/folklife.contact
- Additional Metadata Formats
- METSXML Record
Cook, Robert Harrison
Subjects['Ethnography', 'Music', 'Imitations']
Spoken and Chanted
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Valdez, Amado, Señora Valdez, Stetson Kennedy, Robert Harrison Cook, Stetson Kennedy, and Amado Valdez. Tranquitro. Ybor City, Florida, 08 27, 1939. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/flwpa.3536a7. (Accessed February 13, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Valdez, A., Valdez, S., Kennedy, S., Cook, R. H., Kennedy, S. & Valdez, A. (1939) Tranquitro. Ybor City, Florida, 08 27. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/flwpa.3536a7.
MLA citation style:
Valdez, Amado, et al. Tranquitro. Ybor City, Florida, 08 27, 1939. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/flwpa.3536a7>.