Notated Music [Rocky Mountain Goat] [music transcription]
About this Item
- [Rocky Mountain Goat] [music transcription]
- Jabbour, Alan (Transcriber)
Created / Published
- [Between 1966 and 1968]
- - Instrumental music
- - Fiddle tunes
- - Hornpipes
- - Folk music--Appalachian Region
- - Ethnography
- - Sheet Music
- - Music score
- - United States -- Virginia -- Giles County -- Glen Lyn
- Sheet Music
- Music score
- - Title change: The title appears on the transcription as "Unnamed."
- - Key: D
- - Meter: 4/4
- - Strains: 2 (high-low, 4-4)
- - Rendition: 1r-2r-1r-2r
- - Phrase Structure: ABAC QRQS (abcd abce qrst qrsu)
- - Compass: 15
- - Handwritten: Played twice thru. 1st time misses 2 1/2 measures at beginning. 2nd time transcribed above. This is fr. memory, played for me later & unrecorded. Inserted betw. 2 above strs.
- - Transcribed by Alan Jabbour, from a performance by Henry Reed.
- - This tune is well-known in America but not clearly traceable beyond its shores. Henry Reed neither named it nor assigned it a genre, but it is a tune sometimes known as "Rocky Mountain Goat," and the slightly slower pace suggests a connection with the hornpipe genre. Shaking Down the Acorns (Rounder 0018) contains a performance of the tune by Mose Coffman from Greenbrier County, West Virginia.Henry Reed performed this tune on three occasions. In one performance (AFS 13705b07, recorded on July 17, 1967), he inserted a third strain between the usual first and second strains that leaps up dramatically to a high D in third position on the E-string. This extra strain seems to be unique to Henry Reed.
- manuscript; 2 pages
Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1967/007: Notebook 2:67
- Alan Jabbour duplication project, part 1
- American Folklife Center
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices for additional information and restrictions.
The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Photographs in this collection produced by Carl Fleischhauer, Karen Singer Jabbour, and Kit Olson are reproduced here with their permission. Mr. Fleischhauer does not object to additional use of the photos he created provided he is credited as the photographer. Persons contemplating other kinds of uses or use of the other photographers' work should contact the American Folklife Center at the Library of Congress.
Please cite the source collection title, collection number, and repository, for example:
Alan Jabbour duplication project, part 1 (AFC 1967/007), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Alan Jabbour duplication project, part 2 (AFC 1969/008), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Fiddle tunes of the old frontier: the Henry Reed collection online presentation (AFC 1999/016), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Jabbour, Alan. Rocky Mountain Goat music transcription. [Between 1966 and 1968, 1966] Notated Music. https://www.loc.gov/item/afcreed000001/.
APA citation style:
Jabbour, A. (1966) Rocky Mountain Goat music transcription. [Between 1966 and 1968] [Notated Music] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/afcreed000001/.
MLA citation style:
Jabbour, Alan. Rocky Mountain Goat music transcription. [Between 1966 and 1968, 1966] Notated Music. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/afcreed000001/>.