Notated Music Granny [music transcription]
About this Item
- Granny [music transcription]
- Contributor Names
- Jabbour, Alan (Transcriber)
- Created / Published
- [Between 1966 and 1968]
- Subject Headings
- - Instrumental music
- - Fiddle tunes
- - Folk music--Appalachian Region
- - Breakdowns
- - Reels
- - Ethnography
- - Sheet Music
- - Music score
- - United States -- Virginia -- Giles County -- Glen Lyn
- Sheet Music
- Music score
- - Meter: 4/4
- - Rendition: 1r-2r-1r-2r
- - Transcribed by Alan Jabbour, from a performance by Henry Reed.
- - Key: A
- - Compass: 11
- - Strains: 2 (high-low, 4-2)
- - Title change: The title appears on the transcription as "Granny...." It is transcribed after "Texas," near the bottom of the page.
- - Phrase Structure: ABAC QC' (abcd abef egef)
- - Handwritten: Played twice thru; 2nd time transcribed. Note at star asterisk was actually G# on E string, but C# undoubtedly intended. Triplet in next to last meas. prob. not intended. First time thru had hesitations & stops.
- - This tune can not be clearly traced, though it bears some very general resemblances to tunes like "Fire on the Mountain," which is represented elsewhere in this collection (AFS 13035a43). The second strain is short and has the character of filler, eked out of the melodic material in the first strain. Henry Reed supplied the title "Granny" in a quite tentative way, and single-word titles (other than place names) are not normal. Henry Reed learned this tune from a Mr. Drummond(s) from Texas.
- manuscript; 2 pages
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1967/007: Notebook 3: p. 23b-24a
- Source Collection
- Alan Jabbour duplication project, part 1
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices for additional information and restrictions.
The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Photographs in this collection produced by Carl Fleischhauer, Karen Singer Jabbour, and Kit Olson are reproduced here with their permission. Mr. Fleischhauer does not object to additional use of the photos he created provided he is credited as the photographer. Persons contemplating other kinds of uses or use of the other photographers' work should contact the American Folklife Center at the Library of Congress.
Please cite the source collection title, collection number, and repository, for example:
Alan Jabbour duplication project, part 1 (AFC 1967/007), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Alan Jabbour duplication project, part 2 (AFC 1969/008), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Fiddle tunes of the old frontier: the Henry Reed collection online presentation (AFC 1999/016), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Jabbour, Alan. Granny Music Transcription. [Between 1966 and 1968, 1966] Notated Music. https://www.loc.gov/item/afcreed000043/.
APA citation style:
Jabbour, A. (1966) Granny Music Transcription. [Between 1966 and 1968] [Notated Music] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/afcreed000043/.
MLA citation style:
Jabbour, Alan. Granny Music Transcription. [Between 1966 and 1968, 1966] Notated Music. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/afcreed000043/>.