Audio Recording "I applied for a veteran's peddlers license."
"I applied for a veteran's peddlers license."
About this Item
- "I applied for a veteran's peddlers license."
- Carroll, Sarah (Narrator)
- Carroll, Sydney (Narrator)
- Taylor, David Alan, 1951- (Interviewer)
Created / Published
- - Oral history
- - Interviews
- - Sound recordings
- - Retirees
- - Vendors, Street
- - Ethnography
- - United States -- New Jersey -- Pequannock
- - Summary of audio segment: Sydney did some peddling on the side; he sold paring knives, vegetable garnishing knives and other kitchen tools that he purchased in New York. He obtained a "veteran's peddler's license" ans sold these things from door to door in Paterson neighborhoods. He sold the knives for 25 cents each.
- - Interview with Sydney and Sarah Carroll at their home in Pequannock, New Jersey. They are the parents of Working in Paterson fieldworker Tom Carroll.
- Analog Audio Cassette
Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1995/028: WIP-DT-A011
- Working in Paterson Project Collection (AFC 1995/028)
- American Folklife Center
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Working in Paterson Project collection, 1993-2002 (AFC 1995/028), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Carroll, Sarah, Sydney Carroll, and David Alan Taylor. "I applied for a veteran's peddlers license.". -08-11, 1994. Audio. https://www.loc.gov/item/afcwip000050/.
APA citation style:
Carroll, S., Carroll, S. & Taylor, D. A. (1994) "I applied for a veteran's peddlers license.". -08-11. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/afcwip000050/.
MLA citation style:
Carroll, Sarah, Sydney Carroll, and David Alan Taylor. "I applied for a veteran's peddlers license.". -08-11, 1994. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/afcwip000050/>.