Audio Recording Traverse screws: "I'm the only one here that makes them now."
About this Item
- Traverse screws: "I'm the only one here that makes them now."
- Contributor Names
- Dowling, Jim (Narrator)
- McCarl, Robert (Interviewer)
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Oral history
- - Interviews
- - Sound recordings
- - Irish Americans
- - Watson Machine International
- - Machinery industry
- - Ethnography
- - United States -- New Jersey -- Paterson
- - Interview with Jimmy Dowling at Watson Machine International.
- - Summary of audio segment: Characters he knew at Watson. "There were people here who actually designed machines when I first came here. They were elderly people. Oh what's that name? . . . There is a little machine over here [points to his machining work area on the shop floor] that cuts traverse screws, and he designed that machine. They have a patent on making traverse screws. There is other people make them but not with the same patents. [McCarl -- What are they?] Traverse screws, they guide the wire and they go back and forth and guide it on to spools. There is a sequence of them over there on the rack at the end of my lathe. I'm the only one here that makes them now." [What about other old-timers?] There were a number of people here in their sixties when Jimmy first arrived at Watson. Most retired years ago and some died from here. Heart attack, cancer, a whole lot of them died from this place. One who used to teach Jimmy machining techniques. He worked here for thirty and thirty-five years prior to Jimmy coming here. His teacher was Gordon Van Veet and his uncle designed the traverse screws. And he taught Jimmy the technique of making the traverse screws.
- Analog Audio Cassette
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1995/028: WIP-RM-A003
- Source Collection
- Working in Paterson Project Collection (AFC 1995/028)
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Working in Paterson Project collection, 1993-2002 (AFC 1995/028), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Dowling, Jim, and Robert McCarl. Traverse screws:"I'm the only one here that makes them now.". -08-08, 1994. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003184/. (Accessed March 29, 2017.)
APA citation style:
Dowling, J. & McCarl, R. (1994) Traverse screws:"I'm the only one here that makes them now.". -08-08. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003184/.
MLA citation style:
Dowling, Jim, and Robert McCarl. Traverse screws:"I'm the only one here that makes them now.". -08-08, 1994. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003184/>.