Audio Recording Working in the Inspection Department at Wright's Aeronautical
About this Item
- Working in the Inspection Department at Wright's Aeronautical
- Contributor Names
- Basileo, Angelo (Narrator)
- McCarl, Robert (Interviewer)
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Italian Americans
- - Oral history
- - Interviews
- - Sound recordings
- - Retirees
- - Work processes
- - Ethnography
- - United States -- New Jersey -- Haledon
- - Interview with Angelo Basileo at his home in Haledon, New Jersey.
- - Summary of audio segment: While he was at Wright's he was in inspection. He used to inspect the cylinder heads. "I think I pumped water in it and I would pump it up to certain pounds and if they leak, they're cracked. And they don't, they're alright. And sometimes rocker valve covers -- they are aluminum. Used to check them too, for cracks. There was some kind of an acid you put on anything that looked like a crack. You put this acid on and it would start to bubble, I don't know. But another fellow and I, we quit that and then we traveled to California and back." Why go to California? Angelo: "Well, one of the fellows that we knew, he had done the same thing. He came back, and [puts his hands out] 'Oh, it's nice out there. . . .' This and that. So I had a young fellow I used to pal around with. He was working and I was working at Wright's. He wasn't at Wright's though, I was. He agreed to go if I would go. I quit my job at Wright's. You know, they were sorry to see me go. They said, 'You come back and you can get your job back again, it'll be like a leave of absence.'"
- Analog Audio Cassette
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1995/028: WIP-RM-A008
- Source Collection
- Working in Paterson Project Collection (AFC 1995/028)
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Working in Paterson Project collection, 1993-2002 (AFC 1995/028), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Basileo, Angelo, and Robert McCarl. Working in the Inspection Department at Wright's Aeronautical. -08-11, 1994. Audio. https://www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003201/.
APA citation style:
Basileo, A. & McCarl, R. (1994) Working in the Inspection Department at Wright's Aeronautical. -08-11. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003201/.
MLA citation style:
Basileo, Angelo, and Robert McCarl. Working in the Inspection Department at Wright's Aeronautical. -08-11, 1994. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003201/>.