Audio Recordings "I always try to live up to the family tradition."
About this Item
- "I always try to live up to the family tradition."
- Contributor Names
- Fulcher, Howard (Narrator)
- Levitas, Susan, 1961- (Interviewer)
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - African Americans
- - Drugstores
- - Oral history
- - Interviews
- - Sound recordings
- - Work ethic
- - Family-run businesses
- - Pharmacists
- - Neighborhood stores
- - Fulcher's Pharmacy (Paterson, N.J.)
- - Ethnography
- - United States -- New Jersey -- Paterson
- - Interview with Howard Fulcher, owner, Fulcher's Pharmacy.
- - Summary of audio segment: It's a local tradition (family name on drugstore); "I've even have people call me and have bets at home about where and when we started and how many brothers followed in the father's foorsteps; it does mean something to people. "I always try to live up to the family tradition and whatever my father started, I try to continue in the same vein, giving quality service and trying not to refuse any request." I go out of my way to get what the client needs. I think quality is the whole gamut of services, not just a price, not just something quick. Something that's more enduring, I think, has more quality to it. When you can call on a weekend and get a response, when you can know that you can call at any hour and speak to a pharmacist about the prescription that you got a year or two ago and some advice as far as how long they can use it or whether they can still use something they've had in their cabinet or something like that. If you call a neighborhood store, you're more likely to get a friendly response to a question like that.
- Digital Audio Tape
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1995/028: WIP-SL-A015
- Source Collection
- Working in Paterson Project Collection (AFC 1995/028)
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
Fulcher's Pharmacy (Paterson, N.J.)
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Working in Paterson Project collection, 1993-2002 (AFC 1995/028), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Fulcher, Howard, and Susan Levitas. "I always try to live up to the family tradition.". -08-17, 1994. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003626/. (Accessed December 05, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Fulcher, H. & Levitas, S. (1994) "I always try to live up to the family tradition.". -08-17. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003626/.
MLA citation style:
Fulcher, Howard, and Susan Levitas. "I always try to live up to the family tradition.". -08-17, 1994. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003626/>.