Audio Recording "There were buses but they didn't pull so good."
About this Item
- "There were buses but they didn't pull so good."
- Contributor Names
- Jiggetts, George (Narrator)
- Jiggetts, Martha (Narrator)
- Levitas, Susan, 1961- (Interviewer)
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - African Americans
- - Transportation
- - Oral history
- - Interviews
- - Sound recordings
- - Jiggetts Transportation (Paterson, N.J.)
- - Ethnography
- - United States -- New Jersey -- Paterson
- - Interview with George and Martha Jiggetts, owners, Jiggetts Transportation.
- - Summary of audio segment: The only other way to get around town was buses, but they wouldn't pull so good. If it was raining hard they wouldn't run. Leaving from Wright's we'd have to get out and walk up, so a lot of people were buying cars. To go to Passaic was a dollar and a quarter, now it costs seventeen dollars. Then, they got a place on 28 Governor Street and were working strictly taxis; had eight to twelve guys working for him. Had the taxis painted blue with gold letters; radios came in in the 1950s.
- Digital Audio Tape
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1995/028: WIP-SL-A016
- Source Collection
- Working in Paterson Project Collection (AFC 1995/028)
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Working in Paterson Project collection, 1993-2002 (AFC 1995/028), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Jiggetts, George, Martha Jiggetts, and Susan Levitas. "There were buses but they didn't pull so good.". -08-19, 1994. Audio. https://www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003635/.
APA citation style:
Jiggetts, G., Jiggetts, M. & Levitas, S. (1994) "There were buses but they didn't pull so good.". -08-19. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003635/.
MLA citation style:
Jiggetts, George, Martha Jiggetts, and Susan Levitas. "There were buses but they didn't pull so good.". -08-19, 1994. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003635/>.