Audio Recording "If it wasn't our business, I wouldn't do it."
About this Item
- "If it wasn't our business, I wouldn't do it."
- Contributor Names
- Jiggetts, George (Narrator)
- Jiggetts, Martha (Narrator)
- Levitas, Susan, 1961- (Interviewer)
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - African Americans
- - Transportation
- - Oral history
- - Interviews
- - Sound recordings
- - Family-run businesses
- - Family-owned business enterprises--Succession
- - Jiggetts Transportation (Paterson, N.J.)
- - Ethnography
- - United States -- New Jersey -- Paterson
- - Interview with George and Martha Jiggetts, owners, Jiggetts Transportation.
- - Summary of audio segment: "I just stay busy." She does everything at business -- drive taxis, buses, sweep them out, answers phones. "If it wasn't our business, I wouldn't do it." Now it's time to give it up because I'm tired; it's been over fifty years. Would like to see someone buy it, but husband won't sell it, he likes to work; her sons are in business and law and they aren't interested; too much for Bobby, so really there would be nobody interested.
- Digital Audio Tape
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1995/028: WIP-SL-A016
- Source Collection
- Working in Paterson Project Collection (AFC 1995/028)
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Working in Paterson Project collection, 1993-2002 (AFC 1995/028), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Jiggetts, George, Martha Jiggetts, and Susan Levitas. "If it wasn't our business, I wouldn't do it.". -08-19, 1994. Audio. https://www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003636/.
APA citation style:
Jiggetts, G., Jiggetts, M. & Levitas, S. (1994) "If it wasn't our business, I wouldn't do it.". -08-19. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003636/.
MLA citation style:
Jiggetts, George, Martha Jiggetts, and Susan Levitas. "If it wasn't our business, I wouldn't do it.". -08-19, 1994. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003636/>.