Audio Recordings Shining shoes outside Near's Drug Store
About this Item
- Shining shoes outside Near's Drug Store
- Contributor Names
- Jones, Leonard (Narrator)
- Levitas, Susan, 1961- (Interviewer)
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - African Americans
- - Child labor--New Jersey
- - Oral history
- - Interviews
- - Sound recordings
- - Shoe shiners
- - Ethnography
- - United States -- New Jersey -- Paterson
- - Interview with Leonard Jones, urban gardener, hardware store worker, motorcycle club member.
- - Summary of audio segment: Shined shoes near Near's Drug Store which had been part of the Underground Railroad at corner of Bridge and Broadway. Knew how to pop rag; could still do that today. Made his first shine box at school from an orange box, then bought two brushes, two rags, two cans of polish, two bottles of wash, and two daubers and you're in business; a lot of kids were doing this. When any kid tried to take your shoe box, you'd hit him on his hand with a pipe which we all carried in our box, nine times out of ten, he stops. On weekends, every corner where traffic was was taken. You'd have to get out right after dinner on weeknights. Had to be off the streets by a certain time or the police would pick you up and take you to your mother. Good corners were Market and Church at Alexander Hamilton Hotel, Broadway and Bridge by Near's Drug Store, Paterson and Market Street by Bickford's Restaurant and railroad station across the street, and Market and Main, Broadway and Main was good, and well-frequented bars. Did it from age nine to age thirteen.
- Digital Audio Tape
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1995/028: WIP-SL-A017
- Source Collection
- Working in Paterson Project Collection (AFC 1995/028)
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Working in Paterson Project collection, 1993-2002 (AFC 1995/028), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Jones, Leonard, and Susan Levitas. Shining shoes outside Near's Drug Store. -08-19, 1994. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003637/. (Accessed July 28, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Jones, L. & Levitas, S. (1994) Shining shoes outside Near's Drug Store. -08-19. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003637/.
MLA citation style:
Jones, Leonard, and Susan Levitas. Shining shoes outside Near's Drug Store. -08-19, 1994. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003637/>.