Audio Recording "I don't want to ever go to bed at night and not have something to do when I wake up in the morning."
About this Item
- "I don't want to ever go to bed at night and not have something to do when I wake up in the morning."
- Contributor Names
- Owens, Doug (Narrator)
- Levitas, Susan, 1961- (Interviewer)
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - African Americans
- - Oral history
- - Interviews
- - Sound recordings
- - Hours of labor
- - Work ethic
- - Grocery stores
- - Family-owned business enterprises--Succession
- - Neighborhood stores
- - L & B Food Center (Paterson, N.J.)
- - Ethnography
- - United States -- New Jersey -- Paterson
- - Interview with Doug Owens, owner, L & B Food Center.
- - Summary of audio segment: (What will happen to store in future?) Don't know; foresee myself soon trying to quit the business. (Would you retire or do some other work?) I'll do something to keep myself going; I don't want to ever go to bed at night and not have something to do in the morning. (What time do you get up?) 5:30; get papers and coffee together and get orders together. Hours are from 7 to 8, but we're almost always here at 6.
- Digital Audio Tape
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1995/028: WIP-SL-A019
- Source Collection
- Working in Paterson Project Collection (AFC 1995/028)
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Working in Paterson Project collection, 1993-2002 (AFC 1995/028), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Owens, Doug, and Susan Levitas. "I don't want to ever go to bed at night and not have something to do when I wake up in the morning.". -08-28, 1994. Audio. https://www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003658/.
APA citation style:
Owens, D. & Levitas, S. (1994) "I don't want to ever go to bed at night and not have something to do when I wake up in the morning.". -08-28. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003658/.
MLA citation style:
Owens, Doug, and Susan Levitas. "I don't want to ever go to bed at night and not have something to do when I wake up in the morning.". -08-28, 1994. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003658/>.