Audio Recording "My first real job was in the Yonkers post office."
About this Item
- "My first real job was in the Yonkers post office."
- Contributor Names
- Ramsey, Edgar (Narrator)
- Levitas, Susan, 1961- (Interviewer)
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - African Americans
- - Oral history
- - Interviews
- - Sound recordings
- - Rural-urban migration
- - Sweet Potato Pie Company (Paterson, N.J.)
- - Ethnography
- - United States -- New Jersey -- Paterson
- - Interview with Edgar Ramsey, owner, Sweet Potato Pie Company.
- - Summary of audio segment: Left home at 17. Mom left first and came to New York as a domestic worker; then dad came and got a job and then they sent for me to come to Yonkers, New York. Had an aunt in Yonkers, "it was somewhere to come." Lived there seven years; didn't go right to college. My first real job was in post office; worked there four years. During that time I went to Westchester Community College part-time and got my associate degree in 1966. Then went to the University of Arizona; got my Bachelor's degree in Business Administration.
- Digital Audio Tape
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1995/028: WIP-SL-A020
- Source Collection
- Working in Paterson Project Collection (AFC 1995/028)
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
Chicago citation style:
Ramsey, Edgar, and Susan Levitas. "My first real job was in the Yonkers post office.". -08-28, 1994. Audio. https://www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003661/.
APA citation style:
Ramsey, E. & Levitas, S. (1994) "My first real job was in the Yonkers post office.". -08-28. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003661/.
MLA citation style:
Ramsey, Edgar, and Susan Levitas. "My first real job was in the Yonkers post office.". -08-28, 1994. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003661/>.