Audio Recording "I'll never do anything that I think shouldn't be done -- not for the sake of making a buck."
About this Item
- "I'll never do anything that I think shouldn't be done -- not for the sake of making a buck."
- Contributor Names
- Pizza, Joseph (Narrator)
- Carroll, Thomas D. (Interviewer)
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Oral history
- - Interviews
- - Sound recordings
- - Work ethic
- - Tailor shops
- - 21st Avenue (Paterson, N. J.)
- - Ritz Tailor and Cleaning (Paterson, N.J.)
- - Ethnography
- - United States -- New Jersey -- Paterson
- - Interview with Joe Pizza, owner, Ritz Tailor and Cleaning on 21st Avenue.
- - Summary of audio segment: [JP is working on a pair of pants as we speak.] JP says he is honest with customers, and won't do some work if he feels it won't look right on the customer. Talk about modifying, altering, garments. People who see the work won't ask how much a customer paid, they'll ask "Who did it?" JP can tell how a garment will look on a person after it's altered, and he'll turn down work if necessary. That's how he developed his reputation. He won't do bad or inappropriate work for the sake of making a buck.
- Digital Audio Tape
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1995/028: WIP-TDC-A003
- Source Collection
- Working in Paterson Project Collection (AFC 1995/028)
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Working in Paterson Project collection, 1993-2002 (AFC 1995/028), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Pizza, Joseph, and Thomas D Carroll. "I'll never do anything that I think shouldn't be done -- not for the sake of making a buck.". -08-08, 1994. Audio. https://www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003857/.
APA citation style:
Pizza, J. & Carroll, T. D. (1994) "I'll never do anything that I think shouldn't be done -- not for the sake of making a buck.". -08-08. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003857/.
MLA citation style:
Pizza, Joseph, and Thomas D Carroll. "I'll never do anything that I think shouldn't be done -- not for the sake of making a buck.". -08-08, 1994. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003857/>.