Audio Recordings "Whatever he does in life, he's gonna make out alright. He's that kind of person."
About this Item
- "Whatever he does in life, he's gonna make out alright. He's that kind of person."
- Contributor Names
- Federico, Carmine (Narrator)
- Carroll, Thomas D. (Interviewer)
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Italian Americans
- - Oral history
- - Interviews
- - Sound recordings
- - Work ethic
- - Employees
- - 21st Avenue (Paterson, N. J.)
- - People's Park Hardware (Paterson, N.J.)
- - Ethnography
- - United States -- New Jersey -- Paterson
- - Interview with Carmine Federico, co-owner of People's Park Hardware on 21st Avenue.
- - Summary of audio segment: CF says his employee, Ottavio, worked in a gas station when he came from his country, and gas station owner, also from that country (Brazil) gave him a job. And Ottavio's father sent him to the gas station to learn a trade, give him a place off the streets. And the kid didn't just hang around there, was all full of grease, changed tires, etc. Didn't mind getting dirty. He was 10 or 12 years old when he started there. And CF used to go there to buy gas. Had old man working for them, named John. But John had to retire, and they asked the owner of the gas station if they could use Ottavio on the weekends. So he started with them. And now, in September, Ottavio goes back to school, and will work only part time. Ottavio never misses a day, and is always on time. TC asks what are his plans? CF says Ottavio always says he wants to be a cop. Whatever he does in life, though, he'll make out alright. He'll have a good future, no doubts about that.
- Digital Audio Tape
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1995/028: WIP-TDC-A004
- Source Collection
- Working in Paterson Project Collection (AFC 1995/028)
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
ContributorsCarroll, Thomas D.
Subjects21st Avenue (paterson, N. J.)
People's Park Hardware (paterson, N.J.)
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Working in Paterson Project collection, 1993-2002 (AFC 1995/028), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Federico, Carmine, and Thomas D Carroll. "Whatever he does in life, he's gonna make out alright. He's that kind of person.". -08-09, 1994. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003868/. (Accessed October 27, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Federico, C. & Carroll, T. D. (1994) "Whatever he does in life, he's gonna make out alright. He's that kind of person.". -08-09. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003868/.
MLA citation style:
Federico, Carmine, and Thomas D Carroll. "Whatever he does in life, he's gonna make out alright. He's that kind of person.". -08-09, 1994. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003868/>.