Audio Recording "I speak Italian 95 percent of the day."
About this Item
- "I speak Italian 95 percent of the day."
- Contributor Names
- Venezia, Ralph (Narrator)
- Carroll, Thomas D. (Interviewer)
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Italian Americans
- - Oral history
- - Interviews
- - Sound recordings
- - Stores & shops
- - 21st Avenue (Paterson, N. J.)
- - Sanremo Italian Imports (Paterson, N.J.)
- - Ethnography
- - United States -- New Jersey -- Paterson
- - Interview with Ralph Venezia, owner of Sanremo Italian Import Company.
- - Summary of audio segment: TC asks about origin of this business. What attracted RV to this particular business? RV says it was unique, and has always been so. Don't find retail stores like this often. Compares his business with shoe stores and meat stores. One butcher may be better than another, but meat is still meat. RV sells different things at different times of the year. And sells different things from different parts of Italy. And quality of his products is very high. Italians want quality more than quantity, only the best. And RV likes to be in business and deal with the Italians. He still has an accent because he speaks Italian 95 percent of the time. Customers, phone contact, contact with Italian speaking distributors, etc.
- Digital Audio Tape
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1995/028: WIP-TDC-A009
- Source Collection
- Working in Paterson Project Collection (AFC 1995/028)
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Working in Paterson Project collection, 1993-2002 (AFC 1995/028), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Venezia, Ralph, and Thomas D Carroll. "I speak Italian 95 percent of the day.". -08-11, 1994. Audio. https://www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003894/.
APA citation style:
Venezia, R. & Carroll, T. D. (1994) "I speak Italian 95 percent of the day.". -08-11. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003894/.
MLA citation style:
Venezia, Ralph, and Thomas D Carroll. "I speak Italian 95 percent of the day.". -08-11, 1994. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003894/>.