Audio Recordings "You're going to a different country, different style of life. . . it's a challenge."
About this Item
- "You're going to a different country, different style of life. . . it's a challenge."
- Contributor Names
- Ditaranto, Rocco (Narrator)
- Carroll, Thomas D. (Interviewer)
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Emigration and Immigration
- - Italian Americans
- - Oral history
- - Interviews
- - Sound recordings
- - 21st Avenue (Paterson, N. J.)
- - Ditaranto's Market (Paterson, N.J.)
- - Ethnography
- - United States -- New Jersey -- Paterson
- - Interview with Rocco Ditaranto, owner of Ditaranto's Market on 21st Avenue.
- - Summary of audio segment: RD had seen pictures of Paterson while in Italy, but you don't have the wildest idea what it's like-- different language, different people, different style of life. It's an excitement, a challenge. Italian people go to every part of the world, and Columbus discovered this country, but the Italian people are not adventurers. They have fear, questions. But have a lot of hope too. And had relatives here, that was the safety net. That's how the people work, one calls the other, and so on, and that's howyou get a big community. Lots of people were coming here then, when RD came. There was a big influx, until 1975 or so, when conditions in Italy changed and the standard of living went up there. The only people coming now are the professionals, people who make a lot of money. So it's different.
- Digital Audio Tape
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1995/028: WIP-TDC-A012
- Source Collection
- Working in Paterson Project Collection (AFC 1995/028)
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
ContributorsCarroll, Thomas D.
Subjects21st Avenue (Paterson, N. J.)
Ditaranto's Market (Paterson, N.J.)
Emigration and Immigration
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Working in Paterson Project collection, 1993-2002 (AFC 1995/028), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Ditaranto, Rocco, and Thomas D Carroll. "You're going to a different country, different style of life. . it's a challenge.". -08-17, 1994. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003906/. (Accessed December 10, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Ditaranto, R. & Carroll, T. D. (1994) "You're going to a different country, different style of life. . it's a challenge.". -08-17. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003906/.
MLA citation style:
Ditaranto, Rocco, and Thomas D Carroll. "You're going to a different country, different style of life. . it's a challenge.". -08-17, 1994. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003906/>.