Audio Recordings "Go, I say, come out to the store to buy material, and I make you a dress."
About this Item
- "Go, I say, come out to the store to buy material, and I make you a dress."
- Contributor Names
- Cueto, Milagros "Millie" (Narrator)
- Carroll, Thomas D. (Interviewer)
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Oral history
- - Interviews
- - Sound recordings
- - Dressmaking
- - Dominican Americans
- - 21st Avenue (Paterson, N. J.)
- - Elsa's Fashions (Paterson, N.J.)
- - Ethnography
- - United States -- New Jersey -- Paterson
- - Interview with Milagros Cueto. She works for Elsa Mantilla, making dresses on the third floor of her shop on 21st Avenue.
- - Summary of audio segment: MC made the first wedding dress for a friend, Rosa. She was very poor, was getting married. She didn't have the money to buy a nice dress in a boutique or bridal shop, and MC said to her, "We can make. Go, I say, come out to the store to buy material, and I make you a dress." Rosa said she didn't have money to pay, and MC said this is my gift for your wedding. MC designed the dress with Rosa in mind, tailored to her shape. Rosa was tall and skinny. MC made a traditional dress for her, high collar, transparent at the shoulders, long sleeves, and very tight bodice. And everybody said, Oh my God, it's beautiful. And a lot of people said they didn't believe that Milagros made that dress. After that a lot of people came to her for dresses for graduation, for a special occasion, and MC wasn't sure. She worried that she was only lucky with the first dress. But she did it.
- Digital Audio Tape
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1995/028: WIP-TDC-A014
- Source Collection
- Working in Paterson Project Collection (AFC 1995/028)
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
ContributorsCarroll, Thomas D.
Cueto, Milagros "millie"
Subjects21st Avenue (Paterson, N. J.)
Elsa's Fashions (Paterson, N.J.)
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Working in Paterson Project collection, 1993-2002 (AFC 1995/028), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Cueto, Milagros "Millie", and Thomas D Carroll. "Go, I say, come out to the store to buy material, and I make you a dress.". -09-01, 1994. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003927/. (Accessed February 24, 2017.)
APA citation style:
Cueto, M. ". & Carroll, T. D. (1994) "Go, I say, come out to the store to buy material, and I make you a dress.". -09-01. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003927/.
MLA citation style:
Cueto, Milagros "Millie", and Thomas D Carroll. "Go, I say, come out to the store to buy material, and I make you a dress.". -09-01, 1994. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003927/>.