Audio Recording "When the children are little, you never know what they'll want in the future."
About this Item
- "When the children are little, you never know what they'll want in the future."
- Contributor Names
- Cueto, Milagros "Millie" (Narrator)
- Goicoechea, Aurora (Narrator)
- Carroll, Thomas D. (Interviewer)
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Oral history
- - Interviews
- - Sound recordings
- - Dressmaking
- - 21st Avenue (Paterson, N. J.)
- - Elsa's Fashions (Paterson, N.J.)
- - Ethnography
- - United States -- New Jersey -- Paterson
- - Interview with Milagros Cueto and Aurora Goicoeche. Milagros provided translation for Aurora. Both women work for Elsa Mantilla, making dresses on the third floor of her shop on 21st Avenue.
- - Summary of audio segment: TC asks whether MC will remain in the US. MC agrees, and says she plans to stay. TC asks about MC's daughter, and her plans to be a fashion designer. Is MC teaching her to sew? MC says no, because she's a little girl, will be in third grade. Maybe when she starts high school she can start. MC says but she suggests only [doesn't pressure her?]. MC says her daughter drew a nice house, and told MC that she was going to buy the house for MC when she studies and has money. And she points out dresses she wants for her wedding. MC suggested that her daughter might want to learn to design dresses. But her daughter is young, and you never know what you'll want in the future. But in this country, fashion designing is a good way to make money.
- Digital Audio Tape
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1995/028: WIP-TDC-A014
- Source Collection
- Working in Paterson Project Collection (AFC 1995/028)
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
ContributorsCarroll, Thomas D.
Cueto, Milagros "millie"
Subjects21st Avenue (Paterson, N. J.)
Elsa's Fashions (Paterson, N.J.)
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Working in Paterson Project collection, 1993-2002 (AFC 1995/028), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Cueto, Milagros "Millie", Aurora Goicoechea, and Thomas D Carroll. "When the children are little, you never know what they'll want in the future.". -09-01, 1994. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003936/. (Accessed April 28, 2017.)
APA citation style:
Cueto, M. "., Goicoechea, A. & Carroll, T. D. (1994) "When the children are little, you never know what they'll want in the future.". -09-01. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003936/.
MLA citation style:
Cueto, Milagros "Millie", Aurora Goicoechea, and Thomas D Carroll. "When the children are little, you never know what they'll want in the future.". -09-01, 1994. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003936/>.