Audio Recording "My great grandfather at that point in time decided he wanted to do something different."
About this Item
- "My great grandfather at that point in time decided he wanted to do something different."
- Contributor Names
- Schagen, Mina (Narrator)
- Schagen, Albert W. (Narrator)
- Carroll, Thomas D. (Interviewer)
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Emigration and Immigration
- - Oral history
- - Interviews
- - Sound recordings
- - Family-run businesses
- - Stores & shops
- - 21st Avenue (Paterson, N. J.)
- - Schagen's Shoe Store (Paterson, N.J.)
- - Ethnography
- - United States -- New Jersey -- Paterson
- - Interview with Albert W. Schagen, owner of Schagen's Shoe Store on 21st Avenue, and his wife, Mina Schagen.
- - Summary of audio segment: Great grandfather had a grocery store in Holland. When he arrived here, the girls immediately went to work in the silk mills, which was a common thing in those days. Great grandfather at that point in time decided he wanted to do something different. Great grandfather had gotten enough money together to get a few cows, and had moved to Lewis Street, what was then called Clay Street, and Virginia Avenue. They had been living on Cedar Street in Paterson, in a flood area, and somebody suggested he buy the house. Had no money, but the owner said pay me on a monthly basis. He did, then bought 3 cows, then 3 more, and sold themilk, that's how he made a living. That was about 1890, and then his grandfather, who had been apprenticed as a shoemaker in Holland, decided to open a little shop on Virginia Avenue (now 22nd Avenue). At that point AS's great grandfather told his grandfather that there was sufficient room on Lewis Street for him to open a shop there. And AS's grandfather moved there, made shoes, and about that time started bringing in ready-made shoes. And that was the beginning of the business.
- Digital Audio Tape
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1995/028: WIP-TDC-A020
- Source Collection
- Working in Paterson Project Collection (AFC 1995/028)
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
ContributorsCarroll, Thomas D.
Schagen, Albert W.
Subjects21st Avenue (Paterson, N. J.)
Emigration and Immigration
Schagen's Shoe Store (Paterson, N.J.)
Stores & Shops
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Working in Paterson Project collection, 1993-2002 (AFC 1995/028), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Schagen, Mina, Albert W Schagen, and Thomas D Carroll. "My great grandfather at that point in time decided he wanted to do something different.". -09-12, 1994. Audio. https://www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003956/.
APA citation style:
Schagen, M., Schagen, A. W. & Carroll, T. D. (1994) "My great grandfather at that point in time decided he wanted to do something different.". -09-12. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003956/.
MLA citation style:
Schagen, Mina, Albert W Schagen, and Thomas D Carroll. "My great grandfather at that point in time decided he wanted to do something different.". -09-12, 1994. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003956/>.