Audio Recording "I was born in Puerto Rico."
About this Item
- "I was born in Puerto Rico."
- Contributor Names
- Soria, Ralph (Narrator)
- Carroll, Thomas D. (Interviewer)
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Emigration and Immigration
- - Puerto Ricans
- - Oral history
- - Interviews
- - Sound recordings
- - 21st Avenue (Paterson, N. J.)
- - Soria Real Estate Agency (Paterson, N.J.)
- - Ethnography
- - United States -- New Jersey -- Paterson
- - Interview with Ralph Soria, owner of Soria Real Estate Agency on Oliver Street.
- - Summary of audio segment: RS was raised here, and name was changed to "Ralph", though it's the same name as his Spanish name, Rafael. RS was born in Puerto Rico, Monte Bello, a small country town outside of a larger city. His father was involved in agriculture, sugar cane. Started there, and then became a foreman, but didn't earn much money, and to support the family father did agriculture, raised pigs, cows, horses, everything, little by little. And that's the way he supported us. Life was very bad, was hard. So he decided in 1952 to come to the US, to better himself. RS's father came directly to Paterson. There was someone living in Paterson [whom RS's father knew]. And his first residence here was on Prince Street, where the new county building is. There was an old building there with furnished rooms, paid $3 or $4 a week, and that's how they established themselves. Then got an apartment with some friends there, and from there started going. Father got a job as a dishwasher at Europa Diner on Grand Street.
- Digital Audio Tape
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1995/028: WIP-TDC-A023
- Source Collection
- Working in Paterson Project Collection (AFC 1995/028)
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
ContributorsCarroll, Thomas D.
Subjects21st Avenue (Paterson, N. J.)
Emigration and Immigration
Soria Real Estate Agency (Paterson, N.J.)
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Working in Paterson Project collection, 1993-2002 (AFC 1995/028), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Soria, Ralph, and Thomas D Carroll. "I was born in Puerto Rico.". -09-13, 1994. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003982/. (Accessed August 17, 2017.)
APA citation style:
Soria, R. & Carroll, T. D. (1994) "I was born in Puerto Rico.". -09-13. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003982/.
MLA citation style:
Soria, Ralph, and Thomas D Carroll. "I was born in Puerto Rico.". -09-13, 1994. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003982/>.