Audio Recording Ralph Soria's work history, part 2 of 3
About this Item
- Ralph Soria's work history, part 2 of 3
- Contributor Names
- Soria, Ralph (Narrator)
- Carroll, Thomas D. (Interviewer)
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Puerto Ricans
- - Oral history
- - Interviews
- - Sound recordings
- - Work processes
- - 21st Avenue (Paterson, N. J.)
- - Soria Real Estate Agency (Paterson, N.J.)
- - Ethnography
- - United States -- New Jersey -- Paterson
- - Interview with Ralph Soria, owner of Soria Real Estate Agency on Oliver Street.
- - Summary of audio segment: First job was in Cason Corporation, where he stripped plastic dolls after they came out of the oven. And he had sometimes to work in the oven, which was hot. And he was making 95 cents an hour at that time. They were on Kentucky Avenue. He had to walk into the oven sometimes to get dolls that had gotten stuck, and it was 125-175 degrees in there. It was hard. Had no special clothing or shoes, only gloves. When he walked in, he had to pull the carriages that the dolls were on, which had gotten stuck. He worked there for a while, and they liked him very much. From there they promoted him from the oven to stripper, at $1.10 an hour. There his fingers got so swollen, his hands bled until he got used to it. It was real bad. Had to strip the doll with an air hose, to loosen the doll from the die or mold. From there the parts were sent to the assembly line where they were assembled. The most he earned there was $1.35 an hour, then he quit and joined his father.
- Digital Audio Tape
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1995/028: WIP-TDC-A023
- Source Collection
- Working in Paterson Project Collection (AFC 1995/028)
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Working in Paterson Project collection, 1993-2002 (AFC 1995/028), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Soria, Ralph, and Thomas D Carroll. Ralph Soria's work history, part 2 of 3. -09-13, 1994. Audio. https://www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003986/.
APA citation style:
Soria, R. & Carroll, T. D. (1994) Ralph Soria's work history, part 2 of 3. -09-13. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003986/.
MLA citation style:
Soria, Ralph, and Thomas D Carroll. Ralph Soria's work history, part 2 of 3. -09-13, 1994. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003986/>.