Audio Recording "I serve now in one week like I used to serve in one month."
About this Item
- "I serve now in one week like I used to serve in one month."
- Contributor Names
- Castro, Americo (Narrator)
- Carroll, Thomas D. (Interviewer)
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Insurance agents
- - Oral history
- - Interviews
- - Sound recordings
- - Historic district
- - Peruvian Americans
- - Castro Travel Agency (Paterson, N.J.)
- - Ethnography
- - United States -- New Jersey -- Paterson
- - United States -- New Jersey -- Old Great Falls Historic district
- - Interview with Americo Castro, owner of Castro Travel Agency on Market Street.
- - Summary of audio segment: But the travel business is up. He sells more in one week now than he sold in one month before. Because of computers business started going up and also prices started coming down. AC knows a lot of people from Peru, and people there travel a lot. So travel and money transfers are the main business for us. AC moves usually $5 million a year in money transfers alone. AC says this is a small office, and he doesn't know about the other offices, the business they do. AC has 4 years doing money transfers. He's seen people who come here alone, and after that they send for their families. The family stays here, then they don't send more money to Peru. Many families are coming here. AC says that on July 24 there was a big Peruvian parade here, people came from Washington, D.C., Connecticut, Pennsylvania. Big parade, lot of Peruvians. All the businesses were full, all the restaurants. They have 7 restaurants on this block, all Peruvians. The two main businesses for Peruvians here are agencies and restaurants. The agencies are all involved in cash transfers and travel. But the insurance business has gone down. There had been 8 agencies involved in insurance, now there is only one. But AC doesn't think they are making good money now.
- Digital Audio Tape
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1995/028: WIP-TDC-A024
- Source Collection
- Working in Paterson Project Collection (AFC 1995/028)
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Working in Paterson Project collection, 1993-2002 (AFC 1995/028), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Castro, Americo, and Thomas D Carroll. "I serve now in one week like I used to serve in one month.". -09-13, 1994. Audio. https://www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003997/.
APA citation style:
Castro, A. & Carroll, T. D. (1994) "I serve now in one week like I used to serve in one month.". -09-13. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003997/.
MLA citation style:
Castro, Americo, and Thomas D Carroll. "I serve now in one week like I used to serve in one month.". -09-13, 1994. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003997/>.