Audio Recording "We're willing to work, and we do a lot of things that we wouldn't be willing to do in Peru."
About this Item
- "We're willing to work, and we do a lot of things that we wouldn't be willing to do in Peru."
- Contributor Names
- Castro, Americo (Narrator)
- Carroll, Thomas D. (Interviewer)
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Emigration and Immigration
- - Insurance agents
- - Oral history
- - Interviews
- - Sound recordings
- - Historic district
- - Peruvian Americans
- - Castro Travel Agency (Paterson, N.J.)
- - Ethnography
- - United States -- New Jersey -- Paterson
- - United States -- New Jersey -- Old Great Falls Historic district
- - Interview with Americo Castro, owner of Castro Travel Agency on Market Street.
- - Summary of audio segment: Do many of the people who come to Paterson come here with work already arranged? AC says No, we come over here without knowing what they're going to do. Come here to work in industry. We're willing to work, and will do a lot of things that we wouldn't be willing to do in Peru. In the 1970s AC was a petty officer first class, in the service, and he used to command a lot of people. He never had to do anything, someone had to do it for him. When AC came over here, he had to sweep, had to do something [anything?]. He'd never in his life imagined that what he was going to do. Before he had been in charge, here he was doing menial jobs -- sweeping, repaired tires for cars. AC didn't send money home because his wife and children were here. They had to work and save money to replace the money they spent to come here from Peru. That was his main goal first, to save the money that he spent to come over here. After 2 years he got the money together, $2500. Both he and his wife worked hard to save that money, then slowed down a little, didn't have to rush anymore. With that money they saved they bought a house. the house cost $17,000, it was a lot of money for AC, but was happy because had a house.
- Digital Audio Tape
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1995/028: WIP-TDC-A024
- Source Collection
- Working in Paterson Project Collection (AFC 1995/028)
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
ContributorsCarroll, Thomas D.
Old Great Falls Historic District
SubjectsCastro Travel Agency (Paterson, N.J.)
Emigration and Immigration
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Working in Paterson Project collection, 1993-2002 (AFC 1995/028), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Castro, Americo, and Thomas D Carroll. "We're willing to work, and we do a lot of things that we wouldn't be willing to do in Peru.". -09-13, 1994. Audio. https://www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003999/.
APA citation style:
Castro, A. & Carroll, T. D. (1994) "We're willing to work, and we do a lot of things that we wouldn't be willing to do in Peru.". -09-13. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003999/.
MLA citation style:
Castro, Americo, and Thomas D Carroll. "We're willing to work, and we do a lot of things that we wouldn't be willing to do in Peru.". -09-13, 1994. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003999/>.