Audio Recording "The only thing that I feel good about is that I made it; I feel proud that that was my goal, and I did it."
About this Item
- "The only thing that I feel good about is that I made it; I feel proud that that was my goal, and I did it."
- Contributor Names
- Garcia, Luz (Narrator)
- Carroll, Thomas D. (Interviewer)
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Beauty Shops
- - Oral history
- - Interviews
- - Sound recordings
- - 21st Avenue (Paterson, N. J.)
- - Mari's Hair People (Paterson, N.J.)
- - Ethnography
- - United States -- New Jersey -- Paterson
- - Interview with Luz Garcia, owner of Mari's Hair People.
- - Summary of audio segment: Hairdressers work for one shop only, and when they leave they take the clientele with them. Headaches when owning, have to make sure the place is clean, make sure hairdressers have their licenses, etc. It's like running a house. Have to go shopping, buy products, keep place clean, take care of customers. You have a lot of responsibility on your shoulders. It's like running a house. What are some of the good things about it, being an owner as opposed to a worker? LG says was such a good worker, she enjoyed both. But feels good that she made it, feels proud that she did it! Learned a trade, to get ahead in life. Had a goal, reached that goal, and feels good about it. Wasn't a person who stayed in a factory. Came from a background that wasn't rich, wasn't poor, and parents provided what they could. And parents told her to work, so LG would never be on food stamps, welfare, unless she becomes ill. Mother and grandparents: Grandmother was a housewife. But LG has seen it in this country, what you learn at home, that's how you become in life. If they teach you that you have to work to survive, that's the way you're going to be. Cause LG has seen people that came to this country and are on welfare, and it's been like three decades, three generations. To LG, it's like a hole that you can never can get out of it. The thing that really made her feel good about the business is that it was her goal and she did it, she survived. And worked for that goal and got it.
- Digital Audio Tape
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1995/028: WIP-TDC-A025
- Source Collection
- Working in Paterson Project Collection (AFC 1995/028)
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Working in Paterson Project collection, 1993-2002 (AFC 1995/028), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Garcia, Luz, and Thomas D Carroll. "The only thing that I feel good about is that I made it; I feel proud that that was my goal, and I did it.". -09-14, 1994. Audio. https://www.loc.gov/item/afcwip004008/.
APA citation style:
Garcia, L. & Carroll, T. D. (1994) "The only thing that I feel good about is that I made it; I feel proud that that was my goal, and I did it.". -09-14. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/afcwip004008/.
MLA citation style:
Garcia, Luz, and Thomas D Carroll. "The only thing that I feel good about is that I made it; I feel proud that that was my goal, and I did it.". -09-14, 1994. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/afcwip004008/>.