Audio Recording "We get to know them, we know what's happening with [our employees]."
About this Item
- "We get to know them, we know what's happening with [our employees]."
- Contributor Names
- Contreras-Mas, Sylvia (Narrator)
- Curling, Amada (Narrator)
- Carroll, Thomas D. (Interviewer)
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Oral history
- - Interviews
- - Sound recordings
- - Clothing industry
- - Family-run businesses
- - Employees
- - 21st Avenue (Paterson, N. J.)
- - V. B. F. Trim Company (Paterson, N.J.)
- - Ethnography
- - United States -- New Jersey -- Paterson
- - Interview with Amada Curling and Sylvia Contreras-Mas, co-owners of V.B.F., a garment cutting and sewing contractor business.
- - Summary of audio segment: TC asks whether it's because they're women that they provide that sort of environment, have that sort of attitude. AC says yes, it is. SC-M takes a phone call, TC recalls an earlier part of the conversation. SC-M says that when one of the relatives are sick, because they're women they feel more, ask after sick relatives, have been to funerals, etc. You see them every day, see the pain, and have gotten to know their families. And people open up to them. SC-M doesn't think it would be the same if they were male owners. SC-M thinks women feel more than men. TC asks if that carries over into the business, and is a more "feeling" sort of business as a result of having female owners. AC says Maybe, and laughs. AC but that doesn't affect [discipline], at 8 am they have to be here, they have to be working, they can't be talking. Have to play that authoritative role. AC says sometimes, on Fridays, the people stay after work, have a soda, and sit and talk in the lunchroom.
- Digital Audio Tape
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1995/028: WIP-TDC-A027
- Source Collection
- Working in Paterson Project Collection (AFC 1995/028)
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Working in Paterson Project collection, 1993-2002 (AFC 1995/028), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Contreras-Mas, Sylvia, Amada Curling, and Thomas D Carroll. "We get to know them, we know what's happening with our employees.". -09-15, 1994. Audio. https://www.loc.gov/item/afcwip004031/.
APA citation style:
Contreras-Mas, S., Curling, A. & Carroll, T. D. (1994) "We get to know them, we know what's happening with our employees.". -09-15. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/afcwip004031/.
MLA citation style:
Contreras-Mas, Sylvia, Amada Curling, and Thomas D Carroll. "We get to know them, we know what's happening with our employees.". -09-15, 1994. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/afcwip004031/>.