Audio Recording "Whenever they see there's pressure, because they know we have a deadline, they work even better."
About this Item
- "Whenever they see there's pressure, because they know we have a deadline, they work even better."
- Contributor Names
- Contreras-Mas, Sylvia (Narrator)
- Curling, Amada (Narrator)
- Carroll, Thomas D. (Interviewer)
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Oral history
- - Interviews
- - Sound recordings
- - Clothing industry
- - Family-run businesses
- - Employees
- - 21st Avenue (Paterson, N. J.)
- - V. B. F. Trim Company (Paterson, N.J.)
- - Ethnography
- - United States -- New Jersey -- Paterson
- - Interview with Amada Curling and Sylvia Contreras-Mas, co-owners of V.B.F., a garment cutting and sewing contractor business.
- - Summary of audio segment: AC works to make the process faster. Works with operators not so much to obtain their ideas, as to see how they're most comfortable doing certain sections of garments, and to make the overall operation faster. Remember, it becomes faster, and they become happier because they see they're sewing fast. And it there's nothing coming out, they see that I become annoyed, and they become frustrated because they can't do it. AC works with the supervisor on each garment, to develop the sewing method, and the supervisor is there to help work out problems that arise as the others are sewing. But all operators work at all machines, they rotate around the sewing floor. AC says she has two or three that do facing all the time, they have good experience and stay there. TC asks whether the operators appreciate the finished product. AC says yes, especially whenthey're in a rush and have to get the product out. And when an order is a rush, they work as a team, get the order out. They take pride in doing it. Especially when they see that there's pressure, they know there's a deadline, they work even better. And they talk to each other, make suggestions, ask to be put on a particular machine or job because they know they're faster, etc.
- Digital Audio Tape
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1995/028: WIP-TDC-A027
- Source Collection
- Working in Paterson Project Collection (AFC 1995/028)
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Working in Paterson Project collection, 1993-2002 (AFC 1995/028), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Contreras-Mas, Sylvia, Amada Curling, and Thomas D Carroll. "Whenever they see there's pressure, because they know we have a deadline, they work even better.". -09-15, 1994. Audio. https://www.loc.gov/item/afcwip004033/.
APA citation style:
Contreras-Mas, S., Curling, A. & Carroll, T. D. (1994) "Whenever they see there's pressure, because they know we have a deadline, they work even better.". -09-15. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/afcwip004033/.
MLA citation style:
Contreras-Mas, Sylvia, Amada Curling, and Thomas D Carroll. "Whenever they see there's pressure, because they know we have a deadline, they work even better.". -09-15, 1994. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/afcwip004033/>.