Photo, Print, Drawing Sign for People's Park Hardware, at 348 21st Avenue.
About this Item
- Sign for People's Park Hardware, at 348 21st Avenue.
- Contributor Names
- Carroll, Thomas D. (Photographer)
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Ethnographic photographs
- - 21st Avenue (Paterson, N. J.)
- - Ethnography
- - Photographs
- - United States -- New Jersey -- Paterson
- - Forms part of a group of images documenting aspects of the 21st Avenue area street scene.
- - Although the entire avenue had at one time been populated by Dutch, then Italians, there is a fairly clear division at Madison today. East of Madison Avenue there is a strong and growing Latino population, and many restaurants and grocery stores as well as other businesses (hair salons, liquor stores, an ice cream store) are owned and operated by Spanish-speaking people. West of Madison, the Italian-speaking population still predominates, though many Italians there say that even that side of the avenue is beginning to change.
- 35 mm color slide
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1995/028: WIP-TDC-C014-05
- Source Collection
- Working in Paterson Project Collection (AFC 1995/028)
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Working in Paterson Project collection, 1993-2002 (AFC 1995/028), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Carroll, Thomas D. Sign for People's Park Hardware, at 348 21st Avenue. New Jersey Paterson United States, 1994. -08-31. Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/afcwip004161/. (Accessed August 22, 2017.)
APA citation style:
Carroll, T. D. (1994) Sign for People's Park Hardware, at 348 21st Avenue. New Jersey Paterson United States, 1994. -08-31. [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/afcwip004161/.
MLA citation style:
Carroll, Thomas D. Sign for People's Park Hardware, at 348 21st Avenue. -08-31. Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/afcwip004161/>.