Book/Printed Material Dancing at home and abroad Dancing academy
About this Item
- Dancing at home and abroad
- Dancing academy
- Cleveland's manual opens with an interesting account of the building blocks required for setting up a successful private dancing academy. He includes discussion on the architectural requirements, music, progress of students, hours and division of classes, dealing with children, and how to manage balls. The second part of the manual covers "fashionable dances," and the author describes quadrilles, the "Boston Waltz," and twenty-nine figures for the German (also known as cotillon), a group dance comprised of a series of party games.
- Cleveland, C. H., Jr
Created / Published
- Boston, O. Ditson & Co., c1878.
- - Ballroom dancing--Handbooks, manuals, etc
- - Dance schools
- - Dance
- - Dance Instruction and Physical Culture
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as facsimile page images and full text.
- 104 p. 20 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- GV1751 .C63
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright or any other restrictions in the materials in this collection.
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
The accompanying videos were produced by the Library of Congress. Note Video Performers for additional credits for video performers.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Music Division.
Performers for the October 1997 Great Hall event: Dancers
Members of The Jonquil Street Foundation, Inc. Ariane Anthony, Thomas Baird, Barbara Barr, Patricia Beaman, Christopher Caines, Charles Garth, James Martin, Maris Wolff. Musicians - members of The Library of Congress Centennial Cotillion Brass Band, Emerson Head and Robert Sheldon, Leaders (Members, Metro Washington D.C. Federation of Musicians Local 161-710, AFM.)
Performers for the Coolidge Auditorium clips: Dancers
Cheryl Stafford and Thomas Baird. Musicians - Boris Gurevitch (piano), Susan Manus (violin).
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Cleveland, C. H., Jr. Dancing at Home and Abroad. Boston, O. Ditson & Co, 1878. Image. https://www.loc.gov/item/ca05001946/.
APA citation style:
Cleveland, C. H. (1878) Dancing at Home and Abroad. Boston, O. Ditson & Co. [Image] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/ca05001946/.
MLA citation style:
Cleveland, C. H., Jr. Dancing at Home and Abroad. Boston, O. Ditson & Co, 1878. Image. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/ca05001946/>.