90 days ( Open to All ) Legal Research Fellow (Temporary Position)
- Opening Date: May 19, 2023
- Closing Date: June 2, 2023
- LC Organization Unit: Law Library
- LC Organization Unit - Specific Office: Global Legal Research Directorate, Foreign, Comparative, and International Law Divisions
- Grade: GS-07
- Series: 0986
- Availability: Open to All
- Duration: up to 90 days
The Law Library is offering an opportunity for three qualified individuals to serve on 90-day temporary appointments as Legal Research Fellows. These positions are located in the Foreign, Comparative, and International Law (FCIL) divisions, Global Legal Research Directorate, Law Library of Congress.
Legal Research Fellows work as junior researchers on foreign, comparative, and international law under the guidance of the chiefs of the FCIL divisions. The incumbents’ specialty areas are defined by Library of Congress needs in jurisdictional coverage. The Law Library is particularly interested in candidates with knowledge and experience of the laws of French-speaking jurisdictions, Central America, the Middle East and North Africa, and Canada.
Each Legal Research Fellow will contribute to all Law Library products in the area of his/her responsibility and will assist in developing the Law Library’s online products and collections related to assigned jurisdiction(s).
Duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Provide research services on the laws of foreign countries.
- Author informative legal materials of moderate complexity for the Law Library's publications.
Interested candidates should:
- Obtain permission from their supervisor.
- Submit a federal style resume (Please follow the link and ensure the resume includes all components of a federal style resume.)
- Submit a one-page Statement of Interest describing qualifications that include work experience, education and training related to the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below.
- Demonstrate familiarity with accepted research techniques and knowledge of domestic and international legal and legislative principles and concepts.
- Be informed of global legal issues and foreign legal resources.
- Ability to prepare informative documents using legal and research materials.
- Proficient oral and written communications skills to maintain efficient and effective collaboration with staff and Library users.
Eligibility: This opportunity is open to all.
Work Schedule: The work schedule is flextime, Monday thru Friday 40 hours per week. Incumbents may work onsite or on a hybrid schedule with four days of regular telework per two-week pay period. Incumbents may also be eligible for full-time distant telework.
Submission: With permission from their supervisor, candidates should submit the required documents above to Alea Al-Aghbari (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 5pm on June 2, 2023.
Selection: Applicant information will be reviewed and the top qualified candidate based on the required knowledge, skills, and abilities will be selected.
Start Date: The desired start date for the Temporary Appointment is July 3, 2023.
Deadline for Application Submissions is June 2, 2023
This temporary appointment will be for a 90-day period.